focus blurry on Oled screen but picture sharp

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ralfmouth, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Needed some blurry shots yesterday (for a callibration chart) and although the lcd screen looked nice and blurry, the shots came out sharp. In fact I wasnt able to get much blur at all. The Oled screen greatly overestimated the amount of blur. Anybody notice. Did i have a setting wrong?

2. Woflox

Woflox New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2013
    I believe that until the shot is taken, the aperture remains wide open while previewing. So, if you are shooting at anything but max aperture, the blur will be exaggerated on the screen. There is a 'depth of field preview' function that can be assigned to a button if you need an accurate preview of the bokeh.

If you're intentionally blurring a photo, I would set it to aperture priority mode, manual focus and wide open.

3. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks, not sure why an open aperture would do that (blur) but i'll try it when i get home for sure.

4. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Depth of field. Wide aperture = shallow depth of field.

So while you're framing your shot and getting ready to shoot, the lens' aperture is held wide open. It only stops down an instant before the shutter is actuated for the shot, then the aperture opens back up.

It should look like your subject in focus, and things behind it blurry, not the whole image. If it does, I'd suggest cleaning the screen!