1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus assist? E-P2 with OM lens adapter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blakeeb, Apr 25, 2010.

1. blakeeb

blakeeb New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2010
    Hey all -
    I'm a new E-P2 owner and absolutely love it!

I've been using an OM-m4/3 adapter so that I can take advantage of my OM2's lens collection.

It works great, but it's very hard to judge focus on the LCD or viewfinder without some sort of focus assist.

Is there a way to activate the kit lens' MF focus assist zoom when using a manual lens?

I'd love to be able to assign the Fn button to be a quick zoom.

Thanks!

2. hi blakeeb -

i have the same setup, and you can use focus assist with the manual lens. that's how i generally focus those lenses. with the evf on a tripod, it can very convenient.

of course there's no way for the camera to know you've touched the focus dial (as there is with the ยต4/3 lenses) because there's no electronic information passing between the lens and the camera. that means you have to switch between focus assist and a framing view on the camera itself.

first you cycle the liveview display information (push the info button for each alternative) until you get to the one with the green zoom rectangle in the middle. you may have to enable that one in gearD->info setting->lv-info->zoom. (i don't recall the default setting.)

then you can toggle focus assist using the ok button. you can move the green zoom rectangle around the screen using the arrow buttons, to pick your focus point.

the hassle is that i often toggle it in to focus, then back out again to do the final framing. plus the zoom mode doesn't let you set any other shooting options using the ok button display. so i end up clicking each of those buttons a lot.

on a tripod with the evf, it becomes really comfortable to use.

3. Monographer

Monographer Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    South East Asia
    arpoador, great tip. I recently dug up my dad's old OM-1 and can't wait to try it out on my OM-D set. I have read a lot of reviews on OM-M43 adapters and was wondering if you could recommend some that you have/are using that don't experience the usual problems of loose fittings.

The ones I have looked at are
    1) Roxsen
    2) Fotodiox
    3) Generic OM (from eBay)
    4) Rainbow Imaging
    5) Rayqual (why-ever is this so expensive?)
    6) Holga
    7) ProOptic
    8) Fotga
    9) Original Olympus (avoiding due to budgetary constraints)

Any suggestions?

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I use the Fotodiox with no problems with a variety of OM Zuiko legacy lenses.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Also consider getting the VF-2 viewfinder. It makes focusing without assist very pleasing and plausible. Not that you can't get away with just the LCD if you're shooting static subjects and have time to magnify and take your time. However, if you ever want to shoot something faster (ie, like action), then the VF-2 or VF-3 are a must (with manual focus, that is).

6. Monographer

Monographer Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    South East Asia
    lawerence, thanks for the suggestion :)
    ned, my om-d comes with a evf. can that be used together with manual lenses? I read that the IS needs to be turned off in addition to switching the cam to A/M mode. Any idea?