1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Focus annoyance E-P2 w. adapted 4/3 AF lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdh, Jun 26, 2010.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I use an E-P2 with MMF-1 plus ZD 70-300mm.

This was always going to be a compromise combo, but it does give me the reach I want.

The recent firmware update improved the AF somewhat, but it is a slow focusing lens, especially at 300mm, at which end the AF accuracy is frankly rather poor. This is worse in poor light (though even in excellent light with a high-contrast subject it's completely missed the target sometimes)

BUT ... (and maybe I just need to read the manual properly, but I can't find it) ... when I use S-AF + MF mode, I can get myself a nice sharp image by allowing the AF to coarse-focus, then fine-tune it with the focus ring ... as soon as I hit the shutter release, the AF takes over & refocuses and I lose the image ... grr!

Hints, tips, pointers in the right direction (including manual pages, I'm not too proud to be told to RTFM) welcome

2. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    On S AF + MF, try pressing the shutter half-way, and without letting it go, move the focus ring to MF. Once the focus is bang on, depress the shutter fully.

There's another way, which is to set what goes on when the shutter in depressed half-way, but I can't recall it now.

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thanks for that ... I've tried the first solution, which is good for some situations, but when using 7x or 10x focus assist (which I often am), I can't find a way to get back to 1x when the shutter is half-depressed ... it stays at 7x or 10x when pressing the OK button which would normally revert ... so I usually lose the framing of the shot.

I'll check out your other suggestion as soon as I can find the manual!

4. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    Try separating the focus action from the shutter release action by remapping the Fn or the REC button to perform AF and then shoot in MF. You should then be able to focus with your new button, adjust focus as needed on the lens ring and the release when happy with the focus.

Thats what i do, maybe there is a better way so if anybody else has a fix speak up!

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Another good thought, thanks.

The solution that has come from posting over at fourthirds-user.com was -- switch off AF on the lens when I want to MF in these situations.

Embarrassing, as the solution was (quite literally) under my nose all the time ...