Focus and recompose with e-pl5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by picklzfan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. picklzfan

picklzfan New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Hi. I'm just got an e-pl5 and I'm liking it so far. I'm coming from using a Canon rebel and I use to focus and recompose a lot with that camera. I can't figure out how to focus and recompose with the e-pl5. I have the camera set to center focus point and I have face recognition turned off. When I press the shutter button half way down, then recompose it keeps the focus on the center point instead of where I was focused on when I pressed the shutter half way down. This is how to use to do it with my Rebel. I know you can push a location on the touchscreen to choose a focus point and shoot and I'm getting use to that but I'd like to focus and recompose by using the shutter button. Is there a setting that needs to be changed? Please excuse my ignorance if I am missing something simple.

Thanks in advance!

2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Did you switch off Full-Time AF? It's under Menu-> cogwheel -> A -> 2nd entry
    Can't think of anything else that'd mess with AF. Focus and recomposing should work perfectly fine the way you describe it and are used to it.

3. picklzfan

picklzfan New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have Full time AF off. I actually think it is working as it should and I was confused by looking at the details of the photos when I review them in camera. I was clicking the info button when I was reviewing the photos and it was always showing the focus point as being the center (green square) even when I was focusing and recomposing. I took that to mean that was the "actual" focus point but I was wrong. I guess that is just showing that I have the AF set to center point but it doesn't take into account focus and recompose.

4. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Yes, info always shows where focus was set, not what actually is in focus. There's no way it could know the latter when you recompose with AFL on shutter half-press.

5. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Actually I believe there is a focus tracking mode where it will keep the focus box on the object you first focussed on even when you move the camera or the subject moves. I played with it when I got the camera but don't use it.

Keith

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    One of the nice things about the E-PL5 (and all u43 cameras) is that the focus point is super accurate at all locations. I used to have a 5dii and used focus/recompose all the time since the centre point was great but the out points were (a) unreliable, and (b) too close to the centre. WIth my E-PL5 (and E-M5), I've almost completely stopped using focus/recompose since it's so easy to move the focus point where I want it and it's always accurate.

I've recently overcome my prejudice on face-detection too (you know, "real photographers don't use face detect") - it's actually a great way to focus if you're taking photographs of people.

7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you have IBIS turned on, and you're in a shutter speed range where IBIS is useful, keep in mind that IBIS is only active for about a second for Olympus cameras with 2-axis IBIS. If you focus and recompose, then the IBIS probably won't be active.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    First I have heard of this. Can you elaborate a bit more on when that activiation point begins? I am assuming with a half shutter press. Does it not hold while your finger is still in a half shutter press holding focus?

--Ken

10. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    I have just checked my EPL5 and IBIS still works after holding focus for 10 seconds.

Keith

• Like Like x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I stand corrected. I just tried my EPL5 with a long half press and IBIS did stay on. It didn't do this before the last firmware update.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    No worries. Thanks for double ckecking.

--Ken

13. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    How can you tell if IBIS is activated?

I'm used to Canon's IS system in which you can actually see the lens stabilization work. For those of you who timed their IBIS, how do you tell if the E-PL5 IBIS is working? Secondly, as one poster indicated, does upgrading to the the latest firmware allow the IBIS to operate as long as the shutter is held half down? Thanks for an interesting thread.

14. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    With my E-PL2 (which works as it always did), I press the magnification button twice so what I see on the LCD is a 14x magnification and clearly shows any camera shake. When I half press the shutter button, the image stabilizes for about a second and then jitters again. I'm sure the E-PL5 used to do the same thing, but doesn't anymore. In fact, if the E-PL5 is put into the 14x view mode, half pressing the shutter button now cancels the magnification.

15. giffypop17

giffypop17 New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2013
    Steve
    Good to hear. You had me thinking I was crazy...I've never even checked the firmware on mine. It's got whatever it shipped with, and mine stays on.

16. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There's an awful lot of rubbish in internet forums. I try to avoid contributing to it.

• Like Like x 1