1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focal Reducer and a Nikon 70-210/4 AF Nikkor.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gerard, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I bought a Nikon 70-210/4 AF Nikkor, like the one in the picture.
    If I would buy a focal reducer, it would give me an 50-140 (ish) f2.8
    I wonder how far from reality it is to compare this lens to the Olympus m.Zuiko 40-150 f/2.8 ?
    I know there is a 20 or 30 years difference, I know it is AF.
    Anyone out there who knows this Nikkor and has played with it on a m43 camera?
    image.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

The 40-150 PRO is one of the best lenses of this era. It's going to be really hard to match it with an old lens. I don't think you'd find many prime lenses from ANY era that can beat it.

Photozone has tested the 70-210 above on a Nikon DSLR. Results are not spectacular, but decent: http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/248-nikkor-af-70-210mm-f4-review--lab-test-report?start=1

I think rather than investing in expensive focal reducers for that lens, you'd be better off looking at alternatives like the Canon 50-135mm f3.5 that are already almost there without having to use a larger lens and a focal reducer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I tend to agree. The Canon 50-135 f3.5 is also great if you do end up getting the focal reducer as well, since you end up with a 35-100mm f2.5.

I paid $60 for mine, but that was a really good deal on eBay from Japan.

4. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    This is an OLD thread, but for anyone with a similar question, I have not found an adapter that will AF the old Nikon screwdriver AF lenses.
    In fact I have not found an adapter that will AF the later electronic AF-S lenses either.
    So you end up with a manual everything (focus and aperture), auto nothing lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.