Focal length reminder on GX8

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I've been mostly an Olympus guy, but I've dabbled from time to time with Panasonics, trying in vain to find one I like. To that end I recently picked up a GX8 that was offered at an attractive price. I haven't used the GX8 enough to decide if it's a keeper, but it definitely feels better to me than any other Panny I've tried to date.

I have been shooting a lot with manual lenses, and one feature of the GX8 I've grown to love is that whenever I turn it on if it doesn't have a lens with electrical contacts attached it asks me whether the preset focal length is correct. This is a game-changer for me because I'm terrible about setting the focal length when I change lenses. It's such a simple feature to program and I find it very useful. Although I can also see cases where one might not want to have to deal with a prompt each time one turns on his phone ("I didn't expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition...")

I'm guessing that this feature is common across many of the modern Panasonics (at least those with IBIS), but I'm curious if Olympus has implemented anything like this. My most modern Olys are the E-M1 and the PEN-F and neither does this. Has Olympus copied this feature for the E-M1.1 or .3?

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
After some searching through user manuals it seems that this focal length prompt was introduced with the GX7 (the first Panasonic with IBIS) and is consistent across all of the IBIS-equipped Panasonic cameras.

It also seems that no similar lens prompt feature has made its way to Olympus as yet. Although, since the Pen-F the higher end Olympus bodies (E-M1.2& .3, E-M1X, E-M5.3) offer a feature to store lens info for manual lenses. This data is then used to set the focal length for IBIS and is also included in the image EXIF data (which is awesome). There is also an option to assign this Lens Info selection to a button for quick recall. I love this feature, but I find I always forget to change the setting. A prompt when I turn on the camera would be super useful. I also wish it would allow you to store data for more than 10 lenses.

It's a wonder to me that these companies don't borrow incremental innovations like these from one another. Why can't anyone just make the perfect camera for ME? ;)

- K

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom