Focal Length Input

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by L0n3Gr3yW0lf, Feb 6, 2014.

1. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

L0n3Gr3yW0lf Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    So the question would be which camera makes is easy and fast to input the focal length with legacy lenses for IBIS, Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7,.. and by easy I mean how many layers of menu or can it be just a shortcut button, and fast in how many button presses do you need.

... the only IBIS camera that I owned was a Pentax K200D and the little (comparatively to how much technology is in the new entry level cameras now) bugger was fast in that respect: just turn on with a non contact lens on and a focal screen selector would pop up, no need for menu or shortcut button, just turn in off/on every time that you change the lens.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You need to use Lenstagger in Lightromm. I do not know of a possibility to enter this on the camera.

3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I think the OP is concerned about proper IBIS function when using legacy lenses, which requires manually changing/inputting focal length in the camera menu.

OP: I haven't used a GX7, but on my EM-5, once I did it a few times, I'm easily able to change it under 10 seconds. It's not ideal probably, but it's not too painful. If you learn how to do it with the dials, that speeds things up a little bit.

Here's the sequence:

Menu > Down > Right > Down > Right > Right.
    From this point, scroll to select focal length.
    Press "Ok".
    Press "Menu" or shutter button to close the menu and return to live view.

So, at minimum 8 key presses + scrolling to select focal length. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Thanks so much ... it's exactly the kind of information I needed ... and on that point that confirms how f****ed up Olympus Menus are ... and counter intuitive the controls and function can be sometimes.

... well if Panasonic GX7 has a more convenient method of doing IT I might upgrade to GX7.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There is no need to go into the menus to change the FL in Olympus cameras. It can be done by going into the Super Control Panel (SCP), hilighting IS and then pressing the INFO button. The up/down buttons change the FL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Wow. You're totally right. I didn't know that. I feel pretty dumb right about now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Thanks ... so it needs 3 button presses and a scroll well turn then ? ... it's more intuitive then menu but it still seems a bit of mess, at least compared to Pentax solution (that is almost 10 years old by not this method). Why is it not more intuitive enough to ask for Focal Length when it starts up when no electrical communication with the lens is detected for manufacturers to use it as a standard method, unless it would be patented by Pentax (which seems stupid as Apple patent of round corners and swipe to unlock).

8. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    GX7 automatically asks every time you put a lens on, if I recall from my brief time with one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yes when the GX7 is turned on with a lens it couldn't read, you will automatically be at the FL selection screen. So for GX7 it's zero steps. :smile:
    I believe all the newer Pentax bodies do this as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Jul 31, 2013
    Romania
    Ovidiu
    Well there's less and less reasons to get OM-D E-M5 instead of GX7 (only 2 reasons standing: weather-sealing and Live Bulb Mode).

... as far as I remember all Pentax bodies did this since Pentax K10D.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    My experience with Pentax is only from K30 so I didn't want to make a statement about previous bodies with no knowledge. :)

OMD still has a much better 5 axis IBIS over the GX7's basic IBIS. That to me is it's biggest advantage. However we all value different things in a camera.

• Like Like x 1