1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fn2 button on EM5, mk1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gerard, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Only recently I discovered the focus peaking tric for the em5.
    suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]

Now I use myset4 for this tric. It helps a lot in focussing.
    A part of the trick is to use one of the function buttons to activate the myset, which is a very good idea.
    But my em5 doesn't allow me to assign any of the mysets to Fn2 (nor to the red video button, positioned next to it). I can only assign a myset to Fn1, which is placed very unergonomically. Now i have to get my hand away from the camera, in order to get my finger or thumb in a position where it can activate that button. A recepi for focus failure.

Am I overlooking something? Does someone have an elegant solution?

Thx in advance.

Gerard

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, instead of using a myset, can you assign peaking to another button?

3. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Hi Barry,
    There is no such thing as 'peaking' or 'focus peaking' as such, that can be assigned to any of the buttons. That would be great. That would be called EM-1, I guess?

What CAN be done is: choose myset 4, fotograph the subject in the Art setting in both jpeg+RAW. In replay the camera shows the cartoon like photo and you'll have to wait till all files are loaded into the computer (Lightroom), before one can see the RAW picture.
    Throws a whole new perspective on my photography, but if I'd go in that direction, I'd apply for a job at Disney's studios ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Ok, thanks.
    At that point you might as well ditch the JPEGs and shoot RAW-only, which is what I normally do now (for space and speed).

Barry

5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    For me shooting only RAW is normal practice. If only i could flip easily between myset on or off, then focussing with legacy lenses would be so much easier: use middle finger for pressing the Fn2 button, which sits next to the shutter release, for which i use my index finger.
    Software doesn't allow it.
    Again: does anyone has a solution?