Flying squirrels, anyone?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by foxtail1, Jul 8, 2013.

1. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I live in the national forest and there are a fair number of interesting animals in the vicinity, most of which I never see to photograph (bear, fox, bobcat, etc.). But, the flying squirrels are very cooperative, especially when peanut butter has been spread on a tree. They will do anything for peanut butter, including staying put when a photographer with flash is only a few feet away.

I took these with my G5/PL 45 macro and the built-in flash. The only processing was some cropping.

9245546032_8de7e9c628_b.
    waiting squirrels by foxtail_1, on Flickr

9242741421_b664a0fbb0_b.
    squirrels 2 by foxtail_1, on Flickr

9245566268_6978333655_b.
    squirrels 4b by foxtail_1, on Flickr

9245521912_d798e34802_b.
    squirrels 4 by foxtail_1, on Flickr

9242766645_600a8a6450_b.
    squirrel 1 by foxtail_1, on Flickr

9245575920_0ed5efc660_b.
    squirrels 2b by foxtail_1, on Flickr

9242748797_3f5a61ab8f_b.
    squirrel by foxtail_1, on Flickr

Oh, these are Southern flying squirrels (Glaucomys volans).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Well done! They are cute little buggers.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Way Cool! :2thumbs:
    Don't think I've ever seen them photographed in the wild before.....

"Peanut Butter" noted....:smile:

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Flying Squirrels can be very tame, here's one that took a real liking to my niece. Photo was taken 10 years ago using a Nikon Coolpix 990.

5. foxtail1

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    About 10-12 years ago, I started feeding them. They came into the bird feeders at night, and I started the peanut butter on the tree thing. At one point, there were 30-40 a night, which means that they were coming in from some distance, as they are territorial. Many were tame enough that I could feed them from a spoon, and touch them lightly.

Then, they stopped coming. (My husband claims that I killed them off from heart disease with too much peanut butter.:eek:) I'd hear them sometimes (they make very distinct squeaks and other sounds).

About 2 weeks ago, I heard several so I spread some peanut butter and there they were. There were two the first night, and I saw 9 last night. Tonight, I saw 6, though I heard others in nearby trees. So, we'll see what happens. I'll try to get some other lighting out there, so that I don't get the eye reflections. (I.e., more photos to follow. :smile:)

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    We used to have them in our attic - I would hear them running around at night.

Went up there one night and brought a red light from my darkroom. Sat there quietly and after a while dozens of pairs glowing eyes appeared ate the far end of the attic.

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Same here. They shredded the wiring, messed up some insulation, and politely pointed out that I had a hole to be filled. But how can you be mad, they're so cute! Although, maybe not $750+ cute, but... close.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Nothing it that cute :wink:

Luckily we had no damage beyond some cleanup where they had nested.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You certainly attracted a bunch of them with the peanut butter!:cool:

10. foxtail1

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Well, the numbers are climbing. There were over a dozen out there tonight. It's wonderful to stand near the tree at dusk and watch them glide to the tree.

I'm leaving town this weekend for three weeks (motorcycle trip to points west, exact destination undetermined, but Montana, Wyoming, and Alberta are under discussion — photos to follow). My house/dog sitter has been shown the squirrels and the peanut butter, and has agreed to carry on. Wonder how many will be flying in when I get back?