1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flying: Restricted number and type of batteries onboard.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dancebert, Apr 21, 2016.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Airline email said 'may be restricted'. Anyone had their batteries denied? How many, what type? Is 'onboard' carry-on, checked or both? Are batteries detected at security or does the airline ask? I'm hoping or thinking the warning to passengers is mostly about legally covering their asses. Obviously, it's going to vary by airline.

I have a flight tomorrow. I want to take 7 batteries. Ultrabook - unremovable battery of unknown type. Six Lithium-Ion: EM5 and PL1 - 2 each, Smartphone - 2.

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    As long as they are in your carry-on baggage you should be fine. I recently flew with 2 for em5, several aaa lithium, laptop, kindle, 2 recharger type batteries and one for a canon point n shoot and extra phone battery. No problem. You can NOT put them in checked baggage

3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks. KLM had nothing specific on their site. Now I see the FAA and other Airlines are specific. What a relief - except now I'm wondering about KLM's attitude about customer service.

4. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I should mention that every time i depart India on any airline they always confiscate my double and triple A batteries of any type. No others are ever touched. Its the only country i've had this happen

5. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    Several of the european airlines I've flown have required that liOn batteries, if not in their device, be carried with the terminals covered, noting more. I just wrap each battery separately in plastic wrap. I've never had a problem even though my camera equipment is thoroughly inspected, including the batteries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I haven't had any problems however I keep all AA/AAA batteries in caddies (so the terminals are covered) and camera batteries in cases.

Make sure you have one set of batteries charged up so you can turn on any devices if needed (security sometimes checks to see if laptops/cameras can be powered up).

7. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks again. No need to change my habits as I always charge before travel and keep the spares in individual tiny ziplock bags.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Last fall, China confiscated my phone charger/flashlight that I had put in the tray for the x-ray.
    They confiscated it because the battery capacity was not clearly marked and they claimed it could have been over their limit (unlikely).

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Generally you're allowed 2 grams per battery of lithium metal or 100WH maximum capacity unless the battery is connected to a device, I've only had problems with spare laptop batteries (ones actually plugged into the laptop are generally exempt).

The Olympus BLN-1 batteries are rated at 32WH IIRC, most aftermarket batteries are in the 10-12WH range (hence not lasting as long). It wouldn't surprise me at all that an unmarked battery park exceeds the 100WH allowed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    No one asked about number and nature of batteries, despite twice having my carry-on examined because the xray showed wires and metal cylinders. I took 3 flights on 3 airlines: KLM from BKK (Bangkok), Iberia from AMS (Amsterdam) and Air Nostrum from MAD (Madrid - Barajas)