Flying Patriot - The Movie is Finished! (finally, lol)

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by entropicremnants, Jun 29, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Okay it's up.

I'm very happy with it even with it's flaws. Between misapplying filtration on the 25mm f/1.4 (I used a crappy vari-ND that dramatically reduced quality) and other "source material limitations" -- combined with my personal foul ups -- it is less than perfect.

I will do some posts on my experience with the GH1 and GX1 for the video and discuss the technical challenges in future posts. The video used the PL 25mm f/1.4 (badly, lol); the 35-100mm (which was always on the GX1) and the 7-14mm f/4. The 7-14mm was used for most of the photography and video.

Everything was shot on manual for the most part: both exposure and focus. With the exception of one scene or two where I tried autofocus and it hunted, there isn't any of that because I didn't use AF.

But I hope it works and here it is. It's about 11 minutes or so long.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrsudQsUetI]Flying Patriot - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for watching!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Nice work

K

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    A high quality combination of shots and video - nicely done! :smile:

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Great hybrid work

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks!

One thing, in case you're wondering: on many of the ultrawide shots there is what looks like gray hair waving at the very top of the shot... it's the fake fur of the "dead cat" windscreen on my old-model Rode Stereo VideoMic. It's too close to the lens and I didn't notice it until I got home, lol.

6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you very much for sharing your movie! It was a joy to watch!

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good work. Great story. Thanks for posting.

8. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    That was terrific - thanks!

9. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    that was great.... Enjoyed watching it and was even more satisfying knowing that m4/3 gear was behind it all.... thanks for sharing...

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks! And it was not even the latest models of m4/3 gear with the 4 year old GH1 leading the parade, lol. But it can do the job in many cases.

I'm not a real filmmaker and shooting outdoors in sunlight is pretty easy but I've seen work done with real lighting control and what not and it works well in the hands of a real filmmaker pretty much anywhere.

The GH1 does fall down a bit in audio however. I found that if I didn't keep the -10db switch on the Rode microphone engaged I got distortion a bit. Also, there are no controls for audio or level indicators on the GH1 AT ALL. I feel blessed that it did as well as it did, lol.

But I only paid $200 for it so I'm really NOT complaining.

11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    John,

I really enjoyed the film and am inspired by your leap from stills into video. I also read your blog, and it is very helpful to get learn how you captured and produced the video.

I also have found problems with colour casting and polarizing effects using my variable ND filter. I have a couple of fixed ND filters, but have not had much time to compare them to the fader.

The addition of audio, shooting at a fixed/low shutter during daylight, shot sequencing and editing, as well as adding music to tell a story, make video quite challenging.

I look forward to seeing what you do next!

12. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Nice work. I liked the shuttle balloon. Never seen one of those before.

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Very kind, Sgreszcz, thank you! And thanks for all of you and your nice comments as well.

I will be blogging on the experience of making it and I'll share the "Ah ha!" and "Oh crap!" moments both, lol. This was definitely a learning experience but for my first real HD short, I'm happy. Probably a lot of what I have to say will be obvious to experienced filmmakers -- but much of it is new to me.

14. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for the "making of" blog post John - I'm looking forward to the second part. I'm amazed at what can be done with a such a small, relatively simple kit.

I shoot a lot of video shorts with my kid. He's a handful so I pretty much toss the quality and planning part out the window and focus on having fun.

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! Well, kids are really an exercise in "adapting" and I can't keep up with them focusing in auto for stills much less manually so my hats off to you!

I appreciate the comments, Patrick, and thanks. I'm surprised anybody has read that blog post already as I just put it up this evening!

I think that one can make something nice in the video world with a simple kit just like you can in still photography. Our gear-obsessed society tells you that you need a "rig" with follow focus, some kind of shot steadying mount, an external view screen, boompoles and shotgun mics, and so forth -- and truly you can do better with all those things.

But the lack of them doesn't mean you can't get out there and do something! It doesn't have to be top shelf to be something people might like to watch. In fact, the challenge of making something with less teaches you more and can be a lot of fun in and of itself.

I'm working on Part 2 now which deals with the actual production out on the field, then I'll share my similarly simple post production stuff in Part 3.

If anyone is interested in part 1, it's here: The Making of "Flying Patriot": Part 1 -- How It Came About

16. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    It's crazy. The plus for the rest of us is the money spent on gear-obsession feeds the beast, making high quality equipment affordable. For a few hundred dollars we can get video quality that would have required a $5,000 camera ten years ago.

Heck, in good light my wife's iPhone 5 shoots stunning 1080/30. It can also summon the entire knowledge of the world. And it makes phone calls.

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    True dat!

Well in view of your analysis: C'mon gear heads! Buy more that you'll sell used so I can stock up when I need to!

lol

I haven't got an iPhone so I can't join in on that bit, but I've seen amazing stuff from iPhones so my hats off to that "Swiss Army Knife" of mobile devices.

I have a lowly first-gen iPad... and I love it.

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice video! Congrats!

19. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I just posted one of the shorts I did with my son (Cannon!). It's been a few weeks since we've shot anything - you've inspired me to knock something out with him this weekend.
    Thanks!

20. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I told Orville, I told Wilbur, and now, John, I'm telling you.

If it ain't got Martin-Baker ejection seats I ain't climbin' aboard.

:biggrin:

Geez, John, that's some really nice work. Video has come a long way since my old Super 8.

Thanks for posting!

Regards,

Jim