1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fluorescent Issues?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sdesocio, Dec 13, 2011.

1. sdesocio

sdesocio New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2011
    I just got my EPL2 and I noticed under fluorescent light there is an orange band that moves through the image almost like it you would see on a tv? It means that when I shoot on burst some of the images have an orange band that moves through the image top to bottom. Has anyone else ever noticed?

2. mix123

mix123 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2011
    I noticed this on the LCD when I was taking some photos in my garage on my epm1. However the orange band didnt show up in the photos. Didnt try burst though.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Watch your shutter speeds. Flourescent lighting is not steady -- it flickers. If your shutter speeds are real high, you can actually catch the light in mid-flick for some interesting banding and color effects. Keep your shutter speed a little lower, and the light will even out.

4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    It flickers at 50 or 60 hertz, depending on the electrical standards where you are... I never really noticed until about 20 years ago when I moved from the US to Switzerland. For the first few weeks, the change to 50 hz was really noticeable.... And obviously, if you have a shutter speed shorter than 1/50 or 1/60 of a second, you take your chances. Maybe aiming for 1/30 or slower would help

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. sdesocio

sdesocio New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks. Yeah I thought that was the problem, but then again I was worried that I might have some defect and so I thought, I might as well just ask.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.