Fluorescent Issues?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sdesocio, Dec 13, 2011.

1. sdesocio

sdesocio New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2011
    I just got my EPL2 and I noticed under fluorescent light there is an orange band that moves through the image almost like it you would see on a tv? It means that when I shoot on burst some of the images have an orange band that moves through the image top to bottom. Has anyone else ever noticed?

2. mix123

mix123 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2011
    I noticed this on the LCD when I was taking some photos in my garage on my epm1. However the orange band didnt show up in the photos. Didnt try burst though.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Watch your shutter speeds. Flourescent lighting is not steady -- it flickers. If your shutter speeds are real high, you can actually catch the light in mid-flick for some interesting banding and color effects. Keep your shutter speed a little lower, and the light will even out.

4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    It flickers at 50 or 60 hertz, depending on the electrical standards where you are... I never really noticed until about 20 years ago when I moved from the US to Switzerland. For the first few weeks, the change to 50 hz was really noticeable.... And obviously, if you have a shutter speed shorter than 1/50 or 1/60 of a second, you take your chances. Maybe aiming for 1/30 or slower would help

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. sdesocio

sdesocio New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks. Yeah I thought that was the problem, but then again I was worried that I might have some defect and so I thought, I might as well just ask.