1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flirting with Olympus

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sprinke, Feb 13, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm a very happy GH2 owner; it's the only :43: camera I own. I have several lenses: 14-140mm, 20mm, 100-300mm and 45mm plus a couple of legacy Nikkors.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a second body and I'm thinking of getting an Olympus this time.

In theory, I want something more compact than the GH2, so I can fit it in my purse and bring it everywhere. BUT, most of the features that I love the best and use the most may not be available in other bodies. Namely: the tilt/swivel LCD, 1080p video and manual movie mode.

The reasons I'm thinking about Olympus include: IBIS (esp with the 45mm), built-in wireless flash trigger (will work with my Metz), and cool retro styling.

Is there an Oly body that I'll be happy with?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All of these features are available in the Olympus E-PL3, which is also one of the smallest bodies (fits best in your purse), as small as the Mini (E-PM1) except for the slight additional size of the tilt LCD. I can't imagine a better fit for everything you've stated.

Two accessories you may want to look into though, would be the EMA-1 mic adapter (uses 3.5mm stereo mics, which are more standard than the 2.5mm on your GH2), and the VF-2 electronic viewfinder (the same 1.44 dot resolution as your GH2, but with the advantage of being variable-angle and can be packed away in a separate pocket).

*EDIT: And PS... as soon as I closed this thread I saw an E-PL3 pop up on the buy/sell forum, lol...
    https://www.mu-43.com/f17/olympus-e-pl3-body-only-silver-extras-475-a-21576/

3. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Ned's opinion is a great one but I would go for an EPM1 instead and couple that with your 45mm or get the Panny 14mm and ouch and you'll have a killer purse combo on you at all times. I just got a G2 which I absolutely adore and I'm sure handles just like your GH2 but a compact is always a must for me hence my LX3 attached to my hip.

If I were to get a 2nd m43 body later on perhaps I probably wouldn't spend that much and get an EP2 and tack the 14mm and call it a day.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Mini is awesome... it's slightly slimmer, a lot cheaper (like, you could buy one of the EVFs to go with the camera with what you save), and only misses the Tilt LCD and a couple buttons. So it really boils down to just how much you're willing to pay for the tilt capability. Personally, I don't need it. I have two Minis. :)

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Sorry to butt in but the original poster wanted retro styling too, so the PL3 and PM1 aren't an option. Leaves only P3?

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

She also said she wanted a "tilt-swivel" screen. However I thought only the Panys had that? Even the new E-M5 only tilts , no swivel.

7. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    And she likes Olympus because of the built-in flash triggers which would only be available on the E-PL1, E-PL2, and E-P3.

I think it's one of those situations where something has got to give. I don't think Olympus has a body right now that would cover all your needs.

8. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Just to clarify, the E-PM1 and E-PL3 are both capable of triggering Olympus remote flashes using the accessory flash (included). But, admittedly, the accessory flash is not "built-in".

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Also, I specified 1080p not 1080i video. Is there any camera that has that other than GH2?

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Every one of the latest Olympus cameras (E-P3, E-PL3, or E-PM1) allows you to record in 1080i (60i) or 720p (60p or 30p) in AVCHD or Motion JPG. Every older Olympus from the E-P1 had 720p direct to AVI.

Every single Olympus from the E-PL1 and newer (E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, or E-PM1) has the Remote Flash Commander.

Every single Olympus from the E-P2 and newer (E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, or E-PM1 - every model but the E-P1) is compatible with both the EVF and the external mic jack.

Every Olympus PEN made has IBIS (E-P1, E-P2, E-L1, E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, or E-PM1).

Only the E-PL3 has a tilt screen.

Is it a camera you're after, or bells and whistles? For something that will easily travel in your purse, you won't find a more full featured camera than the PENs. Panasonic has a "give and take" attitude about features... take away the hotshoe here, take away the viewfinder there, take away mic input here, take away video modes there, take away on-chip A/D conversion here, take away a focus ring there... If a camera wants to be small (like the GF-3 for instance), they don't think it needs to be able to do what the other cameras can do.

On the other hand, Olympus cameras from the lowest to the highest get every feature that's available by Olympus, and every model after them will have those same features. They even get the best sensor and imaging capabilities that is currently available to any model from pro-grade down. If you're buying from the newest Olympus line, all you have to worry about is what form factor is most comfortable for you - you know it will have all the features and capabilities of its predecessors and more.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The E- P3 should fill your needs nicely, plus there will be nice discounts once the new E-M5 is available.

12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The latest-gen PENs all do 1080p as Ned mentioned, but they don't do 24p.

Olympus has put their focus on still photos, so while they can do movies ok, they definitely won't do them as well as your GH2. So I would temper your expectations regarding movie performance with the PENs, as the GH2 is known to be one of the best video-focused cameras around.

13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Dang Ned, I'm an Olympus floozy too but they really ought to put you on the payroll. :biggrin:
    (not that every word you stated is not as true as the gospel) :biggrin:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, yeah but keep in mind that I'm not saying that Olympus has everything either - just that if they do have it they'll give it to you whether you buy a top-end camera or the smallest entry. In other words, no intentional crippling (except on rare occasions). ;)

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The new E-M5 won't do progressive at all! Probably because of the switch from AVCHD to MOV files.