Flickrmail from Getty ?!?!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Livnius, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hi guys.*

This morning before going into work I logged on to my Flickr account for something to do while I was having my wake up coffee and had an email that has perked my curiosity.*
    It was from the Getty image group stating that they had browsed my images and there were 7 that they were impressed with and would like for me to submit those images for consideration by the Getty selection panel for possible acceptance into their archive ?!?!

I've never seen this before and truth be told didn't have the time to read the entire document in detail or do any research, *anybody know what this is all about ? Have you had a similar approach *?

To be perfectly honest, I'm kinda surprised that any of my shots would be considered for anything other than a passing comment or a thumbs up.*

Is this just some glorified Flickr group or something with a genuine and substantial affiliation with Getty. My initial reaction was that it's something Getty do almost at random blanket bombing Flickr users with this "offer for consideration"....I did click the link provided within the email and it took me to a page somewhere on the official Getty site.*

FYI...they sent me attachments with instructions on how to gain signed approval from the subjects/persons in my images should it come to that ?!?!

Any ideas ? *'s got me stumped.*
  2. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    It is almost certainly genuine. Getty has a tie-up with Flickr for this purpose.

You're stumped? I'm not, and you shouldn't be, because your images show a strong talent. Well done!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I was thinking the same thing as I read this post.
    Well Done!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    They aren't randomly blanket bombing, so you should be good. It's just a matter if you don't mind that pic going into a stock archive for possibly anything. I have no clue how stock photography works exactly from these deals, but keep it in mind.

Otherwise, nice that they picked your stuff =)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Congrats. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Nice Livnius, you deserve it!
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Awesome, congrats.
  8. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Awesome! Congratulations.
  10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I'd be surprised if "Ben and Jerry's" and "Colin St. Shuffle" aren't in that lot.

Great shots!
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd thank them for their interest and then tell them that whatever their normal rate is.....they better double it ;)

Congrats and keep up the good work!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Lads, thank you all so much for the support and compliments, but I think youre being too generous.

I had a few drinks after work yesterday which kinda kicked on and turned into a night out but I did manage to do a quick search and re read the email, strangely enough, it appears as though you are all correct, there is an affiliation between Flickr and Getty and the invitation is genuine. I found a forum on Flickr where a Getty rep answers questions so I'll have to take a closer look at that when I get home from work today (yes I work Saturdays :mad:). One thing I do know is that the people posting there literally beg and plead with this guy to take a look at their photostream, how the hell they found mine is beyond me.
    Also, and this is interesting, before submitting the requested images, you are allowed to re-edit or alter the images if you choose. They are also after a certain minimum file size and type and request it be 300dpi.

I still find it odd though I will admit, because even though I do like my images and am proud I guess in some way of most of them...I still am left in awe at how amazing the images are taken by others and I suppose I find it strange that others perhaps feel the same about mine !
    But in saying that, i will accept the invitation and submit the selected images for review....why the hell not eh :) at the very least it'll be a learning experience. However luck decides to present itself one should accept it right.

10 months ago when I decided to give my canon point and shoot to my mum and buy myself a more 'serious' camera, I never did it expecting or counting on anything, I did it because I just like to take photos and nothing has changed...I take photos, read gear reviews, hang out here and surf Flickr because I enjoy all those things....even more so now than ever and in ways I couldn't imagine when I first got my Gf1.

When I get the chance, probably tomorrow, I'll post the images Getty selected (I would have personally chose a different 7 but who knows what these guys are thinking).

Again, I'm still dumbstruck as to the why and how, I see so many stunning images both on this forum and on Flickr and to think they invited me is surreal.

13. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes, it's legit. I am one of the Getty Contributors as well. Haven't made any sales yet though. You have to sign a bunch of contracts and stuff. You'll also get invited to a number of private Flickr groups. There are people on there who are serious big-time stock photography folks who make thousands of dollars a month in sales.

I only had four pictures invited, so my chances of making a sale are small ... but what the heck. I hear that Getty will occasionally review your photostream and look for new pics they want, but it hasn't happened to me (I haven't been asked for any more). There is also a private Flickr group called "Artist Picks" where you can submit pictures you think are Getty-worthy. I've put a few in there but again, no offers.

The curators are running a stock photography business and often they are looking for some very specific things. I've heard that sometimes they will invite your images, but then reject them because the quality of the high-res version is not good enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Cheers Sprinke...good to know.

Like I said, I don't expect to ever earn even 2 dimes to rub together from my shots...nor did I set out hoping or planning to, I do this because I enjoy it. I'll be going through the motions on this just because I may learn something new...that's all.

I get all the reward I'll ever need from my shots already :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Great news and couldn't have happened to a better bloke...and not too shabby the photographer either IMHO! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Oh, the other thing to keep in mind is that if there are any PEOPLE in your invited photos, you MUST get model releases for them. This may not be difficult if it's yourself or your family, but forget any street photography-type shots. Getty will not accept them without a model release. They also require location releases for identifiable private landmarks.

From what I've read, the shots with model releases typically sell better and pay more.

Getty also has a twitter feed, called "Getty Images Want" where they will post specific shots they are looking for. Some recent ones:

• Like Like x 2
  17. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011

I too am a part of the Getty/Flickr partnership and have been with them for almost a year and a half now.

It is surprising what they choose and how they choose them, but I'd say that they know the market pretty well. There are some photos that they've chosen of mine that I wouldn't have expected selling.

As for sales, they have been pretty consistent at about 2-3 a month. Revenue for RF images is just 20% and 30% for RM's. In an average month I make about $50-100. Not enough to replace my day job, but nice for getting new equipment or treating myself to something special each month.

My Getty Images Link If you want to take a look

Some of my photos were either taken back when I was using a super-zoom from Canon, but probably a good hundred or more were taken with my E-PL1, and now E-PL3. They are such great cameras and love the smaller size.

Best of Luck!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Congratulations, nice work and good luck.
  20. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    A definite congratulations !
    • Like Like x 1