1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr - what are you switching to?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pdk42, Jun 10, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've tried to be patient with Flickr, but this new layout has finally sent me mad!

So, I've decided to switch to Ipernity - ipernity: Welcome to ipernity - Photo and video sharing

Fantastic site - somewhat similar to the old Flickr, but faster and cleaner IMHO.

Does anyone else feel so strongly about the new Flickr? If so, what are you switching to?

Paul

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I have an Ipernity account also but I have not dropped my Flickr account :smile:

If you're into groups & discussions, Ipernity has a long way to go.

4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Wow I'm surprised. I love the new Flickr layout. To each his own I guess...

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I've started using Flickr more.

But I'm not a pro, so my needs are probably different.

6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'm not. I have a huge indexed volume of photos that can turn up in the first page of google searches and often do. At this point, I get a lot of attention because of that and it's not worth giving up. As a "grandfathered" pro user nothing much significant has changed for me.

If you don't keyword or pay any attention to SEO, don't care about the history google has accumulated on your photos and the ranking they've received then switching makes some sense. For me it clearly doesn't.

7. Fair point about indexing, although at the end of the day it doesn't impact on me whether I get a couple of thousand views a day or just a few hundred. However I'm still not convinced about shifting everything to ipernity and having to re-organise it all, even though I have no love for the new Flickr layout.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Besides the need to skip the home page every time before it crashes. ;)

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Like several others I Know I'd stopped posting photo's on Flickr, but with the revised limits and extra publicity I've started again. So in effect I've switched back to Flickr. As I neared the old limit, I had switched to Picture social & Paranomio for posting most of my pictures

In truth I'd continued to use their group discussions - they have groups on just about everything so obscure topics, such as pinholes, UV photography, tiltshift, fisheyes... all have their own mini forums.

As I'm getting used to it there are even parts of the new layout I prefer :eek:
    Hopefully they'll continue to sort out the bugs.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would never do that. I have changed nothing of my old Flickr account, I just don't really use it anymore. New stuff goes on Ipernity, but the past is easy for me to forget. Forward and onwards for me! :D

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I so wish they had made the Terrabyte change without the layout change. I only used Flickr to host web-sized images, so for me that would have been 100% positive change had they not changed the homescreen and photostreams, and added the infinity scrolls and such.

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    LOL!

13. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Its quite weird with the new flickr in terms of performance. There seems to be a 50:50 split between those that say that they have no issues and those that claim they cannot even open their homepage or photostream. Personally, I have had no issues on any of my computers, none of them the latest and greatest, I even tried a couple of the 2 year old cheapo laptops at work and they worked fine (all use Chrome for browser). I can open the desktop site on my samsung note ii without issues as well, even on cellular.

Outside of performance I really don't like the "infinite scrolling", I find the layout too bunched up, and wish when viewing a individual photo the information was available without scrolling down.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    To be fair,
    Flickr only crashes on iPad...not my laptop.

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Exactly. Only problem I have is on my old iPad.

16. In case there are some who aren't aware, you can view flickr using the traditional photostream layout by adding ?details=1 in the address bar.

Example: Flickr: Nic (Luckypenguin)'s Photostream

PHP:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicprins/?details=1

17. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks Nic! I didn't know you could do that.

18. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    UK
    Colin B
    I'm waiting to see how things pan out. As I understand it the developers were put under a great deal of management pressure to launch the new version and so it shipped with some significant issues. Performance has improved considerably for me (it was very slow initially and slideshows never loaded for me at all to start with), they have some smart people in the dev team and I think it will continue to get better.

I'm not a fan of the new design generally (although there are some good things about it) and as a long time pro subscriber was pretty upset initially about the changes. I am hoping it will continue to improve and that we will see usability slowly return.

19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I know its completely uncool but I've stuck with Picassa. Its free, has a decent bit of storage and its very very simple.

They have been pushing the Google+ integration lately though. If they take this any further (hiding the link sharing in favour of Google+ sharing for example) than its likely I'll look elsewhere.