1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr vs. Photobucket

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SVENS1, Aug 9, 2016.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    I have a free Photobucket account and noticed a lot of folks here have a Flickr account.
    Photobucket is becoming pretty bad with the pop-up ads and has issue now and then working unless i switch browsers. Finding it a pain to use now and then, most now uploading pictures to be used in forums.

Any advantage to switching to Flickr?

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Flickr is HANDS DOWN better than Photobucket. It's not perfect, but it's not anything like the travesty that is Photobucket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

It's not that flickr is the world's greatest service or that it has some kind of guaranteed bright future, but photobucket is utter trash that someone found in the garbage and hooked up to the internet.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    FWIW from a viewer's perspective I find flickr slow and unappealing. I rarely clic through. But I seem to be in the minority.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have a photobucket account where I upload random photos. Most my "photography" stuff goes to flickr. Not sure if it is my imagination, but I noticed some photos I have uploaded to photobucket end up looking more washed out with less colour depth to them.

6. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I've been uploading a fair amount to flickr this year, and have been happy with it. My only complaints about it:
    1. Friends/family have to have a Yahoo account to get their own flickr account. If they don't, downloading photos that are not private and ads can be a hassle.
    2. From time to time, their upload engine goes on the frits.

7. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
  8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, but that's "dying" as in "as a mass market photo site as compared to instagram". Have you seen what instagram does to an unsuspecting photo?

Ed - and I just had to pull this last line:

36nD3k1.

• Funny Funny x 1