Flickr user questions

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by djerzinski, Feb 26, 2011.

1. djerzinski

djerzinski New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2011
    I'm know that quite a lot of Mu-43 members are also Flickr users, so I wanted to reach out to any of you who are, to ask your opinion about a few things. I am working on a group project in a digital business class, and we are examining Flickr as a social network. Anybody who would like, feel free to answer the following questions (your responses will be anonymous and will mainly inform our research).

Do you use Flickr more as a simply a photo hosting/sharing site, or do you also use Flickr to maintain friendships of any sort?

If Flickr lost the ability to connect users to each other through comments or contacts, would you continue to keep your photos on Flickr and upload more, or would you give it up and look for another site?

Do you have any real-world friends or acquaintances that you communicate with on Flickr, and if so, is Flickr a useful or important way to stay in touch with them?

Conversely, do you have contacts you never expect to meet, such as from a foreign country, who you like to interact with on Flickr?

Do you have any other thoughts about using Flickr, or about what Flickr could do better or differently in this respect?

Thanks very much!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    1. Photo hosting/sharing. I've been a member for around 5 years now and don't use Facebook so if I want friends to see something, they get a flickr link

2. I have 2 friends who also use Flickr, but I don't use Flickr directly to communicate with them.

3. No

4. I'm quite happy with it. Not sure what I could suggest to improve it off top of my head.
  3. nursenicole

nursenicole Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    I use flickr for both photo-hosting as well as networking, although it seems more limited in scope than something like facebook- then again as with anything, what you get out of it is what you put into it...

I think I'd stick with flickr even if there were no "friends" or comments - i have so many photos hosted there with a paid account that i'd hate to give it up and lose the organized archiving.

I have both real-life and internet-only friends through flickr, and i have had multiple requests from travel writers, etc to use my photos in their work, which is pretty cool too.

The one thing I don't love about Flickr is that their page-layout options are very limited. No big deal though, I'm just a former blogger who likes to have more control over the presentation than Flickr allows :wink:
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Flickr isn't quite facebook, but it does allow you to easily see your contact's latest uploads where you can "keep in touch" with comments, so-to-speak. It is drawing a long bow to describe Flickr as a social networking site, though. Let's face it: most of us use Flickr to primarily display our photos and to secondarily view other people's photos.

The biggest improvement that I would recommend on flickr is to disable the ability to add photos to groups through "Organize and Create". If you want to add a photo to the group, you should actually have to go to the group, have a look, and actually participate in the group rather than just spamming 50+ groups that you never look at with your photos. I'm certainly not completely innoncent of adding photos to groups I don't look at much although now I've just increased my internet data limit I can afford to look at more photos without going over my limit.

I know that wasn't quite the type of recommendation you were looking for but in a sense it does mean that people have to interact more within a group to add photos to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    hosting/sharing. I have not really made any friends on flickr, but I haven't exactly gone looking. I do follow some streams because I like their work, but nothing more than that really.
    Yes. While I don't maintain any relationships, the interaction is what flickr's strong point is. Though, personally I've found myself falling away from that. And from flickr in general (for other reasons)
    real world friends and family, yes. Is it useful/important to communicate w/ them through flickr? no. Usually it's IM or phone :)
    to the point of using their work as inspiration.
    I'm leaving mostly because it's just too limiting in showing your "photostream." I've resorted to my own site (with images hosted on smugmug). That and I am not finding the time for the social aspect of it anymore. That may change.

Another big factor is the recent debacles flickr has had, most notably the "we can't undelete..." fiasco. I feel as if yahoo is letting flickr rot, and why should I pay them when I already use smugmug? a social forum? I can get that here, or the many other forums out there.

I do still there there's a place for flickr, but it's unlikely I'll use them as a primary site.
  6. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I've joined and left Flickr on several occasions within the past two years. I welcomed feedback about my images and went to considerable lengths to provide constructive criticism, not merely to my regular contacts. I didn't use the site for social networking, but received very helpful encouragement from a handful of photographers whose opinions I valued. I think though that most people get less unbiased and objective the closer to them that you get, and therefore it becomes increasingly difficult to get a balanced view of the quality of an image. These days I upload much less and research more, which I think is the best way for me to improve. I'd rather produce a good photograph than a popular one and that unfortunately is somewhat at odds with the way that Flickr operates.
  7. djerzinski

djerzinski New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2011
    M1pui, nursenicole, Luckypenguin, Linh and MichaelShea, thanks very much for your responses! it is very interesting to hear your views on Flickr. I have also asked these questions to some of my 'contacts' on Flickr, and I am finding that most people are less interested in the social capability of Flickr than I (and my group) had expected. It seems to be a less important aspect than the ability to host high quality images.

My group and I are interested to find out what Flickr can do to get and keep more users, and it seems there is a distinction between the type of person who wants to post party pictures and talk to their friends about it, and the type who is a photography enthusiast who is less interested in talking about their pictures. The question for Flickr might be, which of these types of people to target...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I guess I'm right about in the middle of the 2 groups you describe. I'm not on facebook and never plan to be. However, I'm very into photography and want to learn more and meet people who share my interest. I have made some great friends (who I never plan on meeting.....unless I win the lottery and can visit Sweden , Canada, New Zealand, Australia, France, Scotland, England, Ireland.....etc) and while most of the commenting is more friendly than critique-y, I can ask for help and get photo feedback, too. I love sharing photos (photographer-type stuff, not party photos, etc) and love seeing other people's photos, too.

LuckyPenguin.....I understand the point you make about spamming photos to different groups. But realistically, there's any so many groups that one can contribute to, but I don't think one should avoid posting photos to appropriate groups just because you don't interact with members of that group. I have 2 or 3 groups that I'm very active in, but still post certain photos to appropriate groups. I think some groups are just good repositories for photos that share a theme. When I take a photo of a cool, old weathered door....I'll add it to a group for doors. I personally enjoy door photos, but I don't feel beholden to leave comments on every door photo added that day. When I have time, I may check some out and leave comments on those that appeal to me. But for me there are different kinds of groups......those that are active and cool, little self-contained communities and those that are just like little art galleries that you can walk around and enjoy what you see.
  9. djerzinski

djerzinski New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2011
    Thanks for your response Luke!
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Perhaps interact was the wrong word to use. I don't suggest participating in discussions in every group or organising High Tea for your local chapter. My thought was that if someone had a cool door photo then presumably they have some interest in the subject matter and might appreciate going to that group and seeing other people's interpretations of the same theme.