1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flickr To Ipernity: I Might Move

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT_Panther, May 22, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I really don't hate the "new" flickr as much as some but the way they have just sprung it on us with no options is kind of irritating. I have been checking out pissible alternatives as well. There doesn't seem to be allot of reviews on ipernity, it appears to be a near "old" flickr clone but they seem to be a smaller company and I am wondering if they are going to get overwhelmed but flickr refuges which could result in slow/spotty service or other issues. I think I will take a wait and see approach for now, perhaps with all the negative feedback flickr will at least give some type of option to have something closer to the old layout.

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    My thoughts exactly, I'm going to sit and wait it out, no rush to panic into something just yet.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i heard about ipernity as well, i just deleted my flickr account now.

Im using my tumblr to showcase and write about my work. i find it more satisfying to have a dialogue and writing about the work i put online.

i'll be compiling my works into a book soon and i found that tumblr really helped this process.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm already there, Panther...

ipernity: Ned Yeung

;)

PS, I tried joining two m4/3-related groups on Ipernity and started contributing to them. The Pen World group was all cool, and allows users with both Digital and legacy Pen cameras. However, on the Panasonic/Olympus Micro Four-Thirds group, I introduced myself in the Introductions thread (first person to do so!) and contributed a number of my photos to the group pool, but everything I did was deleted - even my personal introduction... I don't know what's up their ass, but I quit that group immediately after that. :/ I now see why there were no other people joining in on the discussions there.

It is my local groups though with many members moving to Ipernity, whom I care about.

6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Which options do you like to have? There is no reasonable way to offer the old software as an option.

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The option to have my page layout as I want it. Keep the general overall new look but give us the option to control how our photos are displayed (ie thumbnail size and layout). Also the black background when enlarging a picture doesn't work for some photos, a simple option to choose, black, white, or gray would be ideal.

I believe they rolled these changes out too early as it becomes obvious as you surf that half the site is still unchanged. Hopefully that means this is a work in progress and there are still tweaks to come.

8. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I agree that they aren't done yet.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'll probably get an Ipernity account this week :smile:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I hope to see you on there soon then, RedTail! :D

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thus far,
    I like it! Same & different when compared to the old Flickr.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, same here. It's a website that feels good and familiar to use. Now we just gotta wait for the users, lol. Though I guess there's been quite a massive drive of users already from Flickr, it'll still take a while before it builds up to a comparable level of community.

13. One thing I don't want to do is to try to maintain images on two websites. There's enough duplicated content on the internet as it is. I abandoned 500px very quickly for that reason because at the time I was still using (and preferred) flickr. So, moving to ipernity would mean ditching flickr altogether. I'm away from home for a while anyway so I'm adopting a wait-and-see approach in the hope that flickr will make some changes to their new dog's breakfast format.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Likewise, Nic. I have no desire to duplicate images either. The last couple photos I uploaded went to Ipernity and nothing to Flickr. I think my Flickr photostream is done growing now and will just sit where it's at from now on. A pity, since they finally released that 200 photo limit, lol.

15. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I really don't see why Flickr bothers you enough to switch. It is free after all.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    There's lots of free stuff out there that I don't like. :smile:

17. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    Eh I'm fine with the new layout. In fact, I'm pretty into it. Take a deep breath, it will only get better.

18. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I'm sticking with flickr for now.

I moved from Zenfolio do flickr (PRO, because of the 200 photo limit) last year, I'm trying to avoid another move.

There are a few things I don't like about the new layout but I'm giving it some time to see if things get better in the near future.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Do I look like I'm yelling, screaming, ranting & raving over the new Flickr changes? :smile:

20. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I just had a quick look at Ipernity and I like the look of it, I had a quick navgate around and for me it is very slick in operation, quicker than the old and current flickr.
    When I posted pictures on here, I used Flickr BB code, can I do the same with Ipernity?