1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr - Tips and Traps

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Dec 17, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I've just discovered Flickr - (I know I'm were'e a bit behind in some parts of the world).

I would be grateful of any hints and tips, however basic, that you experience users could give me so that I can "get up to speed" as far as possible

Thanks

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If you have a lot of photographs on Flickr, the sooner you start organizing them by sets and collections the easier it will be to find things when you're looking for them. The main level "photostream" can get really crowded and unruly really quickly and it can take forever to find things, but if they're sensibly organized, much less of a problem. I'm personally quite bad about this. I have some sets, but lots of stuff floating loose, which adds to being unable to find some photos when I want to link to them, which leads to multiple versions of some shots, which makes the disorganization that much worse.

They give you the tools - just have to use them!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Can I post an image link from Flickr to other places - i.e. for example on here - I think that I was told that maybe this is not allowed, but I could be mistaken

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I find when viewing photos linked from Flickr to forums like this : they are universally small, poor quality and impossible to enlarge to better quality.
    A few months ago it wasn't like that...

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Bill. Yeah for sure mate you can embed your images from Flickr on this site. I was bamboozled myself when I first tried to do it but now it's easy as cake when you learn how. Contrary to what Ulfric says I actually think the images embedded from Flickr on this site are sharper the the ones uploaded to the gallery.

Ok so this is what I do. I go onto Flickr and click on 'you'. This brings me to a page full of my photos.
    So what I want to do is put a photo in a thread or post on this site.

I click on the photo I want and it will come up bigger. All you have to do now is click on the 'Share This' button on the top LH corner. A little white box thingo will come up. Next click on the 'Grab the HTML/BB Code' and the code will come up.
    Now here is where you can decide what size image you want to display. I will demonstrate for you.

1st is medium
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5223542624/" title="DSC_0212 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"500" height="332" alt="DSC_0212" /></a>

2nd is Large
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5223542624/" title="DSC_0212 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="680" alt="DSC_0212" /></a>

There are a few other sizes available to use as well. Select the size you want. Because your on a mac, to select the code click on the code and press 'command a' (which is select all). It will go all blue and then lastly all you gotta do is copy and paste the link in the forum, ( whether it be a post or a new thread.

Hope my inactions are understandable!

icon

• Like Like x 4
  6. Iconindustries

oh and another tip I found when uploading images to flickr leave the uploading page open until it's finished. Even when I make another tab in Safari and I'm looking at it, for some reason Flickr stops uploading. So i just leave the uploading page up on the screen until it's finished.

And another cool thing. If you click on 'actions' which is right near the 'Share This' button and after you click on it you can scroll down about half way and it will have 'View Exif Info'
    Click on that, and Walla, it displays your exif Data.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Bill, finally!!!:2thumbs:

By yourself that whopping pro account. Then make sure you become one of my contacts so I can keep my eagle eye on you.

Here are step by step with screen shot directions about how to embed: https://www.mu-43.com/f77/how-post-images-forum-threads-316/ See my last post as it shows the mosts up-to-date Flickr and how to do it.:biggrin:

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

P.S. You can set up Lightroom to upload to Flickr. It's in the book how to do it and not difficult. I can be more help another time but must take off on a pilgrimage to pick up our one and only from college to bring her back for Christmas. T minus 30 minutes!

9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Icon

PS - great family - I think that must be "your lot" around the table I saw in the Gallery - your Mum & Dad must be very proud and vice versa

Cheers - your guys are coming back in Perth - but I expected that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Bill welcome to flickr. As far as hints and stuff the options are very broad so you can design much of how is viewed to suite your particular need. What works for me may not work for you.

That being said a good deal can be learned from feedback from others. There are a few things to do there. As BBW suggested friend people whose work you like and some will in turn friend you. Second join groups that appeal to you and post your image there. Have no fear you retain all rights but it will give you exposure. With more exposer you will make more flickr friends and get feedback.

For ever one else trip on over to carnot33 and make him your friend.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconindustries

Mum and dad are proud but they're going grey! After 6 kids and we've all been homeschooled. I'd say they've done an excellent job.

Too right, about the awesome come back at the WACCA- brilliant game last night. Who'd a thought it aye, my grandad didn't even want to turn on the TV on Friday. The when he heard the news that night he wished watched the game. We might-'we just might. Lol

12. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
  13. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Welcome to Flickr Bill!

I have added you.

14. I like using the sets and tags on flickr. It makes it very easy to group and find your photos, especially being able to have one photo included in multiple sets

• Like Like x 1
  15. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Would someone please have a hint how to upload to Flickr from LR? I installed the pligin and it is listed, but then I am stuck, I don't see Flicker as an upload option. Thanksmin advance, and thanks for all the tips here. I have been using Flickr, Imageshack, Photobuxket and Picasaweb, and I need to focus on one of them, too confusing otherwise. Flickr seems to be the best of them.

Stefan

16. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Stefan,
    On the grid, library module, hit export.
    You should then see the option to go to Flickr...
    You have to set it up the first time but it's very intuitive.
    You should then see, Upload to Flickr...

17. I still use photobucket for hosting images when I'm selling any of my old gear on eBay, but I prefer flickr for storing and sorting proper photos. Haven't tried any of the others, though.

18. ...and also, when you start up a new flickr account it will take a little while for your images to display in public searches because your account needs to be reviewed for content when you upload your first images. There is also a safesearch option where you can mark your own photos as 'safe' for public viewing. It should be automatically set but I've seen a few people having issues with that on the flickr forums.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phaedrus

Phaedrus New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2010
  20. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Flickr ... Tags, Views, Sets Etc

Just so youse all know I'm a real human and not an invention of Amin & BB,
    I need help with Flickr.

I loaded a Set up. I've put images in different groups that interest me.
    So, what's the best way to Tag the Set or images,
    How does one get more exposure?

Tell us all youin's know about Flickr.
    The best way to use it etc....
    Thanks, shooter