Flickr Pro price rise

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
If you are already a Pro subscriber you can lock in the old price for up to 2 years, which I just did. Comes to just under $4 a month, less than a fancy cup of coffee for some of us. It's really dirt cheap when you look at it that way.

Yes, expenses do add up but if Flickr were to go away I'd be very, very sad.

Real Name
Melissa
If you are already a Pro subscriber you can lock in the old price for up to 2 years, which I just did. Comes to just under $4 a month, less than a fancy cup of coffee for some of us. It's really dirt cheap when you look at it that way.

Yes, expenses do add up but if Flickr were to go away I'd be very, very sad.
I agree. For less than one venti cold brew a month, I keep my incredibly inexpensive final online backup, and somewhat social photo networking. Maybe I just hate change, lol. But Flickr has been a part of my life for a decade. I hope there are improvements coming, but for now, I'm ok paying < than $4 a month.

I wish I could drop Amazon Prime or Backblaze, if only they would support cold / long term storage for raw files. SmugMug dropped this, so there's probably little chance Flickr would introduce it as a feature.

Anyway I love Flickr and appreciate the transparency of their campaign.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I did consider getting another year with the old price but I'm not too confident that Flickr will still be around 1,5-2 years from now. I just had my 1 year subscriction renewed in November or December. I'd hate to pay for a year in vain in addition to searching a new service to replace Flickr as the content provider for my website.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
yeah, I had the same reaction, but I did pull the plug on a 2 year renewal. I like SmugMug (the new owner) and I want them to be able to continue offering Flickr. I expect the AWS bills were a lot higher than they predicted, hence the price bump.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Did the two year thing....(got a 1.6% social security increase this year...LOL)...as I do like them.

Unfortunately, according to the email I got back, they didn't add the time to my current account.
It says my two years expires in Jan 22, when it should be Dec 22.
Have to contact support, I guess....

I did consider getting another year with the old price but I'm not too confident that Flickr will still be around 1,5-2 years from now. I just had my 1 year subscriction renewed in November or December. I'd hate to pay for a year in vain in addition to searching a new service to replace Flickr as the content provider for my website.
I'm considering it payback for the 12 years I had a Flickr account before paying for it! ;)

MPrince

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt Prince
And yet, still incredibly cheap at only $5US per month. I spend more than that every time I visit my local coffee shop. Difference is, after I've finished the coffee I have nothing to show for the money spent.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bit because I don't want to see flickr go away, but I'm struggling to see the value. I really hope they've been working on a redesign in the background in addition to fostering community (however that may happen...). Some pages still look like they are from day 1. Let alone the aging organizr.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I ended up not. I signed up for Pro just before the end of the year. A year from now $10 won't mean a hill of beans, and I'm hoping there may be some other options by then. Since I don't use any of the 'benefits', I'm sticking with my wish list from the thread we had last Nov or Dec when this first popped up. I want a bare-bones option. Take away the $25 card, the photo book, the LR garbage, and all the other perks and offer a $30 version.

My take is that this is still going to end up with Flickr being gone. They're going to transfer everything to SmugMug, give you 'free' membership for whatever time you have left, and then you'll be responsible for the cost of that membership going forward. Everyone likes to discuss business models, so consider this: It makes no sense for a company to own a user-pay photo site and compete with itself by owning a free photo site.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
. Everyone likes to discuss business models, so consider this: It makes no sense for a company to own a user-pay photo site and compete with itself by owning a free photo site.
This is also why I actually hope smugmug rolls into Flickr (but the pro smugmug level still is basically brandless)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom