Flickr Pro 25% discount pre-announcemnt

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
I used to have a Flickr account but after a few emails a year or so back I deleted all my images and no longer use the account. (Unfortunately this has impacted images I have posted to this site as they were hosted through Flickr and can no longer be seen).
I use Lightroom extensively and Photoshop lightly I now pay the subscription.
Along with that I use Adobe Portfolio which hosts my personal website and has my personal domain name (paid for through GoDaddy)
I also use Adobe Spark for presentations and as I am a subscribing member I can add branding to the presentations.
So I get to use Lightroom, Photoshop and have a personal website and presentation platform all for $14.29 AUD.
I'm thinking that's pretty good value for money.
Only other cost is paying for my domain name every few years. Done.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Torn on Flickr myself with all the various places I have photos.
Google Photos: Free, great for sharing, excellent searching features. I almost want it to be my "every day archive" since the smartphone pics go there. Except, it's a huge pool of everything. Also, unlikely, but what if they change and kill it...
Adobe: I pay and use it. They have a web feature. It's more functional than nicer looking. Also, it used to be very slow for me. But this makes sense since I'm already paying for it and it's tightly integrated into workflow. Making it my jpeg archive would be costly (1TB LR only plan isn't good since new LR isn't yet at feature parity)
Smugmug: just love the customization and was/is my jpeg tertiary backup of final images basically. Useful for side gigs, but that has waned. Love photography focused goal.
Flickr: love the photography focused goal. want it to be the photo community again. But no idea how they can turn that around. doesn't make sense to keep paying on this while I have the others. Hard to see what value I get outside of not wanting to see it go away.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I renewed for one more year, but removed the autonewal. If I find an alternative way to post stuff to this forum, I'll close my Flickr account. Flickr died long ago.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I renewed for one more year, but removed the autonewal. If I find an alternative way to post stuff to this forum, I'll close my Flickr account. Flickr died long ago.
https://www.publicalbum.org/blog/embedding-google-photos-image That's for embedding photos from Google photo. Occasionally it breaks when Google does a big update with Photo's, only done it once for me when they combined Photos/Drive, but someone else figures out how to do it & post up a little tool. Works on Android (phone) & PC, haven't tried it on the iPad yet, but the old one worked there. So can't see why not. I might try it later.
I've somehow managed to accumulate 115 GB of free Google storage, I'm only using about 10% of that, so works for me. I'd be pretty sure Google will be around a lot longer than Flickr :) And Google is getting cheaper, not more expensive.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
https://www.publicalbum.org/blog/embedding-google-photos-image That's for embedding photos from Google photo. Occasionally it breaks when Google does a big update with Photo's, only done it once for me when they combined Photos/Drive, but someone else figures out how to do it & post up a little tool. Works on Android (phone) & PC, haven't tried it on the iPad yet, but the old one worked there. So can't see why not. I might try it later.
I've somehow managed to accumulate 115 GB of free Google storage, I'm only using about 10% of that, so works for me. I'd be pretty sure Google will be around a lot longer than Flickr :) And Google is getting cheaper, not more expensive.
Thanks for the tip! From a quick search I found it has WordPress plugins. Need to research more.

Where's the catch? It seems to be free? Do I give them permission to use my photos for anything or what? :D

Here was some info that 16 MP is the maximum size for unlimited storage. Anyone got any important points about the whole thing compared to Flickr for example? Personally I just need a service that can provide a base for photos to my WordPress page through a plugin.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-photos-937968/

Edit. Also found this article released four days ago.

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-image-hosting-websites

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very interesting deep read on this whole situation: https://ferdychristant.com/the-rise-fall-and-resurrection-of-flickr-ca1850410ee1
(I suppose I should warn that the linked article contains strong language. Of course it does, it’s an emotive topic)
That's way way too long and verbose to make a decent argument. I didn't even make it half way through before my eyes glazed over & I bailed. He? keeps waffling on about how smart Smug Mug is, but they were too dumb to look into the financials before purchasing a giant sinking ship? Really?
I have no want for a free service. Giving away a TB of storage for free is dumb. No matter how you look at it. But so is giving unlimited storage for the same price as a few GB. As I wrote earlier, that's the sticking point for me. I don't need, or want unlimited storage. I'm more than happy to store my own files. Hard drives are cheap. I just want to pay a fair price for what I use, and that's not much. It's more just the convenience factor for sharing for me.

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
That's way way too long and verbose to make a decent argument.
Judge an argument by its size - lol.

Amongst lots of background one of his main claims is that smugmug are good guys who are rescuing flickr and all the anger and criticism towards them is unfair and misplaced.

He also said "Deleting content is an internet sin." and IMO that is the unforgivable sin smugmug committed straight away by deleting other people's content that I had access to. That removed any good will and sympathy I had towards them.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks speedy, I'll look into it. I hope I can find a solution that doesn't involve Google. I don't trust what they do/will do with my data, and I'm progressively switching off all the Google "free services" that I've used in the past.

MPrince

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt Prince
Judge an argument by its size - lol.

Amongst lots of background one of his main claims is that smugmug are good guys who are rescuing flickr and all the anger and criticism towards them is unfair and misplaced.

He also said "Deleting content is an internet sin." and IMO that is the unforgivable sin smugmug committed straight away by deleting other people's content that I had access to. That removed any good will and sympathy I had towards them.
As far as I know, (and I could be wrong about this) smugmug did not delete any flickr content without first giving the content owners time to download their content. In any event, smugmug owns the equipment hosting that content and is not under any obligation to provide hosting for free in perpetuity.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
That's way way too long and verbose to make a decent argument. I didn't even make it half way through before my eyes glazed over & I bailed. He? keeps waffling on about how smart Smug Mug is, but they were too dumb to look into the financials before purchasing a giant sinking ship? Really?
I have no want for a free service. Giving away a TB of storage for free is dumb. No matter how you look at it. But so is giving unlimited storage for the same price as a few GB. As I wrote earlier, that's the sticking point for me. I don't need, or want unlimited storage. I'm more than happy to store my own files. Hard drives are cheap. I just want to pay a fair price for what I use, and that's not much. It's more just the convenience factor for sharing for me.
You’ve kinda regurgitated part of the author’s point.

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
As far as I know, (and I could be wrong about this) smugmug did not delete any flickr content without first giving the content owners time to download their content. In any event, smugmug owns the equipment hosting that content and is not under any obligation to provide hosting for free in perpetuity.
That isn't the point at all. I valued flickr because it let me find and see other people's content. Content on flickr is valuable to anyone who can see it not only to the creator of that content. It didn't matter if I subscribed or how much I paid they were still going to delete content of value to me.

Of course smugmug are not obliged to do anything the same way I am not obliged to give them any money and I didn't. I chose to give some to someone else instead.

Real Name
Joshua
@speedy, Flikr has a share button that will both let you select the image size you want to share, as well as generate code for use on BBcode forums, or HTML embedding. You might be able to share on mu-43.com simply because they have special code that pulls in your photo and makes it an attachment. Those above images are not being hosted by Google anymore when viewed here.

For me: Flickr works everywhere on dozens of forums without issue.

Take this photo: (1024x768 size shown here)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Flickr URL for the full sized photo is:
Code:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48328196087_51a02dcc40_o.jpg
This URL works anywhere, and won't be something different next week.

The Google Photo URL is:
Code:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mz-ZbL5rnfo5937REgCxkh7evQuZekf2IMNbsi0eiPZEsE4d1tA0BkwctkAI69va2QPjMzFMg4co2Q8wD9Y-nDuM33ApD1kISopnupr1uuRXRNZGz392I72ew0imb03ATXMNiKCOEeESskblEdEfSzhCOF6G5tAl2ZUH174oU9-C-l57j11AOfk9uoyyLlryNNywoGT7K53n7ZztVUeU4CQdBfLMLeeAYQOb2K603tQC8-x8-evrB_7oX7u00QooBAfuX286WlxOdTF_0gGnJ51T8HBOpERZ4P1cS882v4gh1lEHEECc_Ur081JtudmzDWcEYqgftUurUGRnxJihMrzxPf_1eOe7jg8Kw7tWMUKTmI4dfnYogsC6o0ECtrVBI63HQD_BjOcp-rAruYMi7K82M9Ui241OBIIcBIjgVrunQ5V6tWtuMwlyabTV3ELuzzSO_6TtA_ugCJJmohI3K6V3qMA_6bIsvY5-vL2kvbRSsy5WWg6Oq5XMUv-nhOF9zULuZTAzAyXFvGQcdCqNQht74v8z6Y0-iAd8PKHwGGUy88NWQO5rMhs_4o-FpHFm8bkvfs2QQzm8N47u_GQHFmoyzpUAHWW1Ou33FkdPYFDpciiOMqtKhYeB-59Fmg2fWSO_KlsOofns12bcJF_XYG09SDCwUoO42qDTlpxdArVK_PBrveNkiJE=w1709-h1283-no
That URL doesn't even end in .JPG. Most non-photo forums won't even parse that URL. It also isn't even the full photo size, it is 1709x1283. If you want the full photo resolution you have to download the photo.

aukirk

Mu-43 Regular
I am a Flickr fan and happily pay for the service. I do wish the groups feature was a bit easier to use and prioritize (without setting up browser bookmarks). I don’t use it as my photo storage location, but selectively post photos I want to share. It would be nice if there was some way to make “posts” that combine multiple photos in a layout similar to exposure.co

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@speedy, Flikr has a share button that will both let you select the image size you want to share, as well as generate code for use on BBcode forums, or HTML embedding.

Not that I can find on Android.

You might be able to share on mu-43.com simply because they have special code that pulls in your photo and makes it an attachment. Those above images are not being hosted by Google anymore when viewed here.

Yep. Every forum seems to use different software that does different things. The few that I use seem to allow uploading photos. So if that link to the code generator doesn't work, I just upload from my phones SD storage card. Google photos has a brilliant search function, it's so easy to find a particular photo I'm looking for, & save/upload

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am a Flickr fan and happily pay for the service. I do wish the groups feature was a bit easier to use and prioritize (without setting up browser bookmarks). I don’t use it as my photo storage location, but selectively post photos I want to share. It would be nice if there was some way to make “posts” that combine multiple photos in a layout similar to exposure.co
Agreed. The best and worst part of Flickr are the groups. They allow for compare and contrast and sharing and creative exploration, but they are so disorganized, chaotic, and lack editorial oversight they’ve become a slog rather than an enjoyable browse.

There is absolutely no need for 7 groups sharing images from the same lens or camera body. The objective of focus is to find exactly what one needs in an image, but Flickr groups are so unfocused as to (ironically) miss the point.

MPrince

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt Prince
That isn't the point at all. I valued flickr because it let me find and see other people's content. Content on flickr is valuable to anyone who can see it not only to the creator of that content. It didn't matter if I subscribed or how much I paid they were still going to delete content of value to me.

Of course smugmug are not obliged to do anything the same way I am not obliged to give them any money and I didn't. I chose to give some to someone else instead.
You can still find and see other people's content. There are billions of photos on flickr.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom