1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr issues with older browser?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flamingfish, Jun 4, 2015.

1. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Flickr recently decided that it would no longer play nicely with the outdated version of Internet Explorer that is on my computer at work. I can see my photostream, but can't pull up an individual photo or post a link. Updating the version of IE is not within my control and is not likely to happen.

If anyone else has experienced this problem, is there a workaround? I tried the "Help" forum on Flickr, and found numerous threads from people with similar problems with a variety of browsers. However, the threads degenerated into invective against Flickr and bickering about Flickr's right to make changes and/or the merits of various browsers, without providing any actual help.

If I have to bail on Flickr, what's a decent (free or cheap) alternative for storage with linking capabilities? If I start using a different site, is it feasible to move or copy my Flickr photos to the new site?

I'm strictly an amateur/hobbyist, not looking for a way to publicize my work for sale.

Thanks much!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Are installing alternate browsers an option? Chrome and Firefox come to mind if they are.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It could be worse. My work blocks flickr (and any other photo sharing site) as a security protocol. I guess you could use it to get data in and out of the company if you wanted. I'm glad this forum has started caching a lot of flickr embeds, otherwise I don't see them from work.

One option you might try is the mobile site - m.flickr.com. Very low formatting in order to work on older phones, etc.

Another is to use a portable edition of a modern browser. I know Opera has one: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/opera_portable

Those can run from a USB or folder without requiring installation. Just be careful you aren't trying to circumvent controls your I.T. put in place, or it could get you in trouble.