1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr IQ

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Sep 28, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Has anyone noticed a change recently in the image quality of photos posted to flickr?

I swear my shots are coming our much courser/noisier/softer than when viewed on my computer... I've always expected this from Facebook but generally I thought flickr was quite good :/

Anyone else or is this just me?

2. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I think they dialed the sharpening up or something. I tried to put something up yesterday and took it down because stuff had halos around it.

3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Hmmm, I've been posting quite a lot of shots with prominent 'bokeh' lately and flickr just seems to be brutalising the smoothness of the original files.

Interestingly 500px is much cleaner...

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    could you guys share a shot here and a link to the flickr shot. I'd love to see what you're talking about. What would the point be for them to alter any shots....I'm pretty sure they wouldn't compress the files.

5. I don't know about any compression of the full size images, but Flickr does do it's own resizing to display the images at 640, 500, etc pixels which will influence how the images appear at those sizes.

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Always helps to view them at a larger size, I think. I can't say that I've noticed any changes, however.:confused:

7. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I will try to post something when I get home. The picture in question for me would have been embarrassing to leave up. It was bad I'm the full size pictures and just got worse as they got smaller.

I went through the flickr support forums to see of there was a way to turn the sharpening off, and I could not find anything. I did find a number of threads where people were raising the issue, some of them dating back to 2007.

I also found a number of examples showing flickr tweaks contrast.

From where I sit, it looks like flickr has always applied sharpening, and a contrast boost. This has been an annoyance to me in the past, but for whatever reason it was unacceptable to me in the picture I was going to put up yesterday.

8. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I agree.. plus the community at 500px is definately better!

9. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I uploaded the original file here, and there are a couple of artifacts along the cliff face on the left side of the frame that are not in the file when I look at it on my hard drive.

scotth_20110811_213930_2601.

Here is the flickr large version, the left cliff face has a halo all the way along it.

6193369260_c49db6ee6e_b.
    flickr sharpening by scott_h, on Flickr

It is more noticeable at smaller sizes, and halos are forming on the right cliff face as well.

6193369260_c49db6ee6e_z.
    flickr sharpening by scott_h, on Flickr

10. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    When I want to upload something to the net, I generally export an 800px jpeg from Aperture 3, then upload to flickr. Then if I want to post somewhere else (like here), I link to the flickr version of the 800px image.

Sooooo, for that image flickr shouldn't have to resize anything (I'm not referring to quality loss on the 640px image on flickr itself, but when I use flickr to host stuff elsewhere...)