Flickr Embedding Problem?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zpierce, Jan 6, 2014.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    It's been a few weeks since I posted any of my photos on here from Flickr and it appears Flickr has gone and changed their interface again a bit more. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. Even though my photos are "Public" (note the unlocked padlock icon), when I hit the share button and the embed link it just gives me the following message:

Flickr Issue.

This led me down another weird path. I have my Lightroom Flickr publish service set to Public, but my Flickr settings set to "Friends and Family" as the default for new images. Apparently that overrides the Lightroom setting because all of my recently uploaded photos are set to "Friends and Family". However, even though not set to Public, anyone can see them so it seems like the security doesn't even work anymore?? Regardless, I set my photos to public in the Flickr editor and still get that error message so aside from exposing more weirdness, it didn't seem to help my cause.

Anyone run into this? Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks,
    Zach

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Im pretty sure you can change back to the old interface. I was able to a couple months ago. I can't remember all the reasons I switched back, but there were a number of ways I found the new interface difficult to use. Its been awhile, but if I remember correctly, EXIF data was difficult to see (or maybe impossible), and I remember an embedding problem different than yours (I couldn't figure out how to embed with the title and my name below the photo, but that might be my issue not flickrs).

My adviceā€¦ If you still can, switch to the old "classic" interface

3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I had the same problem with Flickr than OP. Only way to make them public was switching back to old interface, releasing photos there and after that I could embed either from new or old interface.

This security dent first raised when I uploaded images from DxO. I never found any problems with Aperture. There might be that different applications use Flickr API different way and unexpected things will happen. I've learned now to check things through web, and preferably with old interface.

The way the embedding link works is different in new interface, the actual link just is different and doesn't have all the information that the old version had. And I think this is a pity.

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I don't believe there is an option to switch to the old interface anymore is there?

5. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I just found out if I open Flickr in IE vs Chrome, I seem to get the older interface with a share button on the bottom of the screen that works, how strange.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Again, its been awhile, but if I remember correctly, there was an option to revert back to the old interface in a text bubble at the bottom left. They need to put some actual photographers on the flickr team!

7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Aha, perfect, thanks! That's the last place I would have looked, on top of my photo. ;)

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I actually like the new interface, but clearly they are still working out some bugs.

9. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I also like the new interface, but the link from older interface was better and more informative with additional texts, IMHO.