1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flickr down 20 hours and counting - May 23rd, 22:00 GMT

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pdk42, May 23, 2019.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear...

Flickr.com Down or Just Me ?

Capture.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Capture.JPG

I had hoped things would improve under Smugmug, but it seems to be getting worse. I hope this big infrastructure move they're doing fixes it since recently it's been very unreliable.

I'm tempted to take a shot of the Panda stuck to a screen with 500px on it :) 

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    It was supposed to be for 12 hours - but I honestly didn't think it would be less than 24 hours, 36 is my guess. They have billions of items to move and a complicated code base and it all goes to a new cloud provider with one assumes a lot of different tools. These things are a pain no matter what you do.

I have some experience with cloud maintenance on a much smaller scale (millions instead of billions) - and you always run into stuff.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm happy to wait (especially since I don't have a Pro account), but if I were to win that panda photo contest then I know I would then be paying for the following years. :rolleyes: 
    Isn't it wonderful it's Friday, except it's closer to Monday though. ;) 

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I thought I’d read 18 hours as downtime, whatever though it was never going to be quick and they are going to break stuff
    Notifications is already been flagged to be impacted
    Chill out and as they say go and take some pictures

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I think Smugmug went about the whole acquisition the wrong way. They buy Flickr then the first thing they do is restrict free accounts and double the price of the Pro accounts without improving anything. Then VERYYYYY slowly they have been trying to fix things but here we are 7+ months into the new ownership and the whole site is dead for nearly 24 hours for the big transition. I mean hopefully it will be better when it comes back (why am I dreading different servers, but same service) but really the smart way to have done things was buy it, fix it up THEN sell it to the customers when you have shown the service is now better. Many people felt (rightfully so) like their accounts were taken hostage with threats of losing all their content back in October/November unless they paid up with promises of great things to come. But after the great swindle of '18, so far nothing is better and at the moment it is completely dead. :( 

6. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Yeah, that's exactly what annoyed me enough to cancel my Pro subscription after 8? Years or so. And on top of that, offered cheaper prices to new accounts, ignoring the loyal customers. If anything, the service had gotten worse, and slower under their ownership. I'm not too concerned about the free accounts, they are free after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I actually got in a couple hours ago for a few minutes until it went back down again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ross the fiddler

This is the progress so far. Flickr Status
    upload_2019-5-24_9-53-36.png

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

As an I.T. guy, I feel for their staff. I've definitely been in that situation where despite your best plans, everything has gone south (or is taking twice as long as it should). I bet management is calling every 10 minutes asking why they aren't done yet, as if that will make it go faster. I can't even fathom the complexity of migrating all that data to a new cloud without breaking anything. I wish them luck!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Well I'm going to complain to customer service, since I did pay for Flickr Pro. They should offer some sort of freebies for this downtime. I do use Flickr as a cloud storage and as a web preview for clients using private web links. Luckily I have my high-res download on another cloud service for situations like this.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

What is it $50 per year? What are you expecting for 1/365 downtime? Isn't that about 14 cents a day?

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I actually got a discount during Black Friday. Business 101, the customer is always right! I just sent them a stern letter regarding the downtime. It's actually unacceptable especially if working photographers rely on albums for client related work.

If you don't speak up, things don't get done!

13. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yeah...when I try to view on PC (not android) it won't let me even view my photos. I have to chose PRO or Delete 1000+ photos (I don't even know how many I have). They make it sound so scary. They don't give me to option to go in and delete the ones I want to keep my account below the minimum. They should grandfather people in who've been around for over a decade.

I really like Flickr. I don't do instagram or other sites other than my own site, but it lacks the social/sharing/inspirational part of flickr.
    They're gonna shoot themselves in the foot, like Adobe. I'd like to stay on, but I'm not gonna pay for two sites. There's nothing to stop me from creating a 2nd account (they should realize this), but I'd like to stay cohesive.

14. Ross the fiddler

OK. You can all stop your griping now! :rolleyes:  ;) 

It's Back!!!!! :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    Not here it isn't. Not that I care :) 

16. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    It is back for me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ross the fiddler

As seen in the screen shot I posted above they were gradually bringing it back to everyone, but maybe your area was still to come.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It's back, but it can't upload images, at least here in Australia.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    Yeah, now working on PC, Android app isn't.

20. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Its back here (in the UK) on web but the iOS app still shows the downtime banner -even though I’m sure I saw new content behind it briefly. I uploaded a video successfully just now.
    I read that the Android app will need to be reinstalled. And something about a new app coming to the Play Store soon.

EDIT: here’s the link about the Android App (scroll down) Planned maintenance and Flickr downtime

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.