FlexTT5 Pocket Wizards and E-PL2

scarbrd

Mu-43 Regular
I recently worked a studio session and used the E-PL2 and some Alien Bees lights. I borrowed a friends Pocket Wizard and it worked fine. I don't recall the exact model, but they were for Canon.

I have a pair of Pocket Wizard FlexTT5's. Both unuits can be transmitter or recievers. They can be congifured using USB with software provided by Pocket Wizard.

While everything worked fine with the older less expensive Pocket Wizard my friend has, we could not get the flash units to fire with the FlexTT5.

They worked fine with my Canon 5DII and the Alien Bees, but not with the E-PL2.

I don't want anything fancy, I'm just trying to get the FlexTT5 to fire the lights from the E-PL2.

I know this is obscure, but I can't find anything through regular searches.

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
1. Go to MENUE on the camera make sure the the camera is set for flash, I think "FILL" is
the setting to use.
2. Camera must be in manual mode
3. Shutter speed should be 1/180 or slower

scarbrd

Mu-43 Regular
1. Go to MENUE on the camera make sure the the camera is set for flash, I think "FILL" is
the setting to use.
2. Camera must be in manual mode
3. Shutter speed should be 1/180 or slower

I'm there on the last 2. Where exactly is this Flash menu on the E-PL2? I haven't seen a screen with a "fill" option.

In Menu E (I think that is what you meant) which is labeled EXP/Meter Pattern/ISO, I see

EV Step
Metering
AEL Metering
ISO
ISO Step
ISO Auto Set
ISO-Auto
Bulb Timer
Anti-Shock

In Menu F that's labeled Flash Custom, I see

X-Sync
Slow Limit
Exposure Compensation

Thanks

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
Look in live the "Live Control" menu, you'll have to use the up & down buttons to bring up the flash setting, and use the right & left buttons to make changes.
You'll probably aware Canon & Olympus have the same flash contact pins in the same location, BUT the contacts are assigned different functions.
I don't an E-PL2 handy right now, but if you have the user manual handy, (I'm looking at it now), look on page 20 for "Live Control" and page 56 regarding the flash settings.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
To fire the new PW's in manual mode you will have to allocate manual firing mode to one of the available channels (c1 or c2) on the TT5. This is done using the pocket wizard utility. When I had mine I set C1 to TTL for my Canon system and C2 to a manual only fire using the utility. Only then will the PW function on the EP2 or other non Canon camera.

Gordon

scarbrd

Mu-43 Regular
I followed the advice of flash and sammyboy, but it still didn't work. Actually I had already configured the Flex units as flash suggested.

There is a "Learn" button on the devices. I pressed one until it started blinking and then pressed the test button on the other. It fired the flash!!!!!!

But it only works one way. I switch the devices (they are identical) by putting the one that was on the camera on the lights, and vice-versa. The new combination does not work.

So for now I am labeling the devices in the working configuration and getting on with my life.

Thanks everyone!

stibe

New to Mu-43
Hi! I am planning to get a pair of PWs (TTL for Canon) and would like to use them also with my Olympus E-PL2.

I have three Qs. Can I:

a) trigger flashes by using E-PL2 as the main camera
b) trigger Canon 7D's shutter by using E-PL2 as the main camera
c) trigger E-PL2's shutter by using Canon 7D as the main camera

What would I need as extra gear?

All feedback is greatly appreciated. :2thumbs:

Cheers!

Latest threads

Top Bottom