Flaw in new E-M1 images

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by simonwarren, Feb 26, 2014.

1. simonwarren

simonwarren Mu-43 Regular

I've just recently purchased on OM-D E-M1

On certain images like the one attached I'm seeing a small circle appear on plain backgrounds. In the image attached to this thread it appear above the red flower on the left hand side of the image. I've also had it on images with a clear sky. It doesn't appear to show up in other images with lots of detail in them. Any ideas what this could be.

The problem happens on all three lenses that I've tried.

Attached Files:

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Looks to me like you have a piece of dust or dirt stuck to the sensor and the piezo dust removal system isn't able to shake it off...
  3. simonwarren

What would be the best way to remove the dust/dirt? Or should I just leave it?
  4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    If you can leave it, I'd leave it. I haven't tried to clean the E-M1 sensor and it's "gimballed" or suspended electrically as part of the IBIS system. I'm not sure we're supposed to go in there with sensor swabs and clean it - I don't know enough about the suspension system to know what a little bit of pressure on the sensor might do.

Does anyone else have experience with this on these cameras (E-P5, E-M5, or E-M1)?
  5. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Try a Rocket Blower and see if it gets off. Those things work very well.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands

If you want to torture test, shoot a (blue) sky at F22.

And +1 on the rocket blower.
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If that is a full frame image, it is not dust. It would be either oil or a liquid residue. Dust is opaque and leaves small black spec. Liquids are semi transparent and leave larger dark circles. It also explains why the ultrasonic dust removal wasn't effective.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. simonwarren

It is a full frame image.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Guess for now the best thing will be to live with it and use Lightroom's spot removal tool.
  9. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    If it is oil or liquid residue and you're still within the return period, consider returning it. If you're past the return period, it may still be a warranty repair. That is a significant defect. Lightroom's spot removal tool will only help when the spot falls on an area without detail.
  10. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    It is just a piece of dust/dirt, don't get excited it will not be the last time it happens. Regardless of all the hype about auto cleaning the fact is it does not always work.
    Get a large blower bulb rocket or whatever and use it to blow off the dirt, it will take a few tries to do it then use it at every lens swap on the lens and the sensor. The longer it stays on
    the harder it is to remove.
    I have never had to wet or dry clean a sensor in 10 yrs of dslr use.
  11. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Indeed it is just dust. Nothing to worry about. I favour the Arctic Butterfly sensor cleaner. Blowing around dust to other places inside your camera is not the optimal strategy.
  12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I have to say though that that image is beautifully detailed.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    sensor pen, extremely gently
  14. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Learn how to clean your sensor. Pretty much a necessity with mirrorless cameras.

With that said, aside from minuscule loss of contract, you don't see dust and blotches on an m43 sensor shooting at f8 and wider.
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Agreed, and it's a pain. Unfortunately, the 'floating' nature of the sensor in the OM-D and E-P5 models means that technically you're not supposed to wet-clean the sensor yourself - you have to send it to Olympus for that. I believe they give you one free cleaning while it's under warranty. That said, if you're reasonably careful, m4/3 is one of the systems least-afflicted by sensor spots.
  16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you are still in the camera's store return period, send it back. It's foolish to do something that you're explicitly told not to do by Olympus (touch the sensor assembly) that could possibly do damage and void the warranty.

...and the people telling you it's a dust speck don't know what they're looking at.
  17. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I agree that it looks like Oil/liquid. Def not dust. I've had alot of M43 and 4/3rds cameras and never had to clean a single sensor, so that is rubbish that sensor cleaning is necessary, unless you leave your body cap off in storage or swap lenses in a windy desert.

Let Olympus handle that.
  18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Here what is dust on a sensor looks like, this is from my D-800. I became very adept at wet cleaning sensors on my Nikons.

Never had the issue (yet) with E-410, E-30, E-5, E-M5, or E-M1 and over 100,000 photos. If was my camera it would be returned if possible or sent to Olympus for cleaning if I could not remove the dust with a blower.

The image has had contrast enhanced to make the dust more visible!
  19. simonwarren

Thanks everyone. I've only had the camera a couple of weeks so am going to return it to the store for a replacement.
  20. simonwarren

Store assistant was able to spot something sticking to the sensor. Unable to dislodge it with a blower. A replacement has been ordered.