Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by RobWatson, Oct 9, 2012.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hate batteries ..
    Gearing up to fine tune some flash techinque. Got everything setup and even got so far as to get the flash balanced nicely with ambient. Then nothing ...

Batteries in the flash gun died. Swap them out with fresh ones and one more pop to make sure things are working then ... nothing ('fresh' rechagables died after one pop). Swap out one flash for another with external AC power ... test pops OK ... nothing.

Radio trigger battery died (don't carry a spare so dead in the water). No long sync cord ... no 'master' on camera flash ... dead.

Moral of the story: Always use AC power and bring plenty of extra batteries anyway just in case. Always plan ahead and recharge the rechargables, etc.

New project: AC power adapters to run everything.
  2. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Hi Rob, what batteries are you using? I've been through dozens of AA rechargables, all randomly dying/failing to charge.

Then someone recommended Sanyo Eneloops to me (for my Pentax Kx at the time) and they've been rock solid in whatever I put them in - currently doing pretty well in my Nissin Di466. I find the low-self discharge offsets the always forgetting to top them up...they're a bit lower on capacity but they hold voltage better under drain than higher capacity batts.
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Can't say enough good things about about those Eneloops. Imagine this: Admittedly I am not a heavy user of flash - I can count maybe 4 or 5 "sessions" I've used that flash. But ever since I bought the Nissin flash + eneloop (actual date purchased is April 19, 2011) I haven't recharged them yet. They don't lose their charge, or if they do, it's probably leaking out oh so very slowly. I just used the flash yesterday, and flash still works great.

And again (can't emphasize this enough) - I have yet to recharge those little beasts.
  4. RobWatson

Lately been using powergenix which do improve cycle times noticably. They have been sitting for maybe 4 months since last used.

Did I mention the camera battery also died? I've got a few spares but still not quite a good day for batteries.
  5. RobWatson

Did manage to salvage one of the test shots ...

<a href="http://minus.com/lbjI269xwHrqYs">
    <div align=center>
    [​IMG]"300" height="400"
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I use eneloop-like batteries from a variety of suppliers, but the key is a good quality charger. Cheap 'high speed' chargers will kill battery capacity over time. I use a Maha C3000 (I think that's the model number) which allows charge rate to be programmed, as well as a 'refresh' program which runs the battery through a charge/discharge cycle and can do wonders to revive old or abused batteries. Does take a good 24 to 48 hours per battery though.