Flashes for Macro?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I'd like to have a flash for macro and close shooting. I'd prefer it not be a ringlight so it can be used with any of my lenses. Compounding my problem/concerns is what I've read about older flashes putting too high a voltage through the sync contacts.
I saw a photo of a lighting setup several months ago that had 2 tiny goosenecks sprouting from a hot shoe mounted main unit that let the lights be aimed wherever they were needed. Something like that would be awesome but I don't really know where to start with modern flash gear. Suggestions or observations of all sorts are welcome.

mtipton1064

Mu-43 Regular
More information is needed to really answer a question about lighting for "macro" photographer. If the subject/object being photographed is not moving the amount light needed is much less of an issue than in the subject is moving. For example most of my macro photos are of "flys" (fly fishing flys) locked in a vise. There is no movement so a longer exposure is not a problem. If you are shooting butterflies outdoors in the sun, light is not a problem.

I have the Olympus setup with the two little lights that attach to the flash foot. It seems to work fine for me. An important feature is that all of the light is going to the same place.

Mike T.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

banj911

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bennet Duhig
Hi there, here is a link to my macro lighting set-up which I have had some good results with.
It's made of thin plastic sheeting with aluminium tape stuck on the inside to provide the reflectance.
Finally, a white cotton cover is put over the reflector to diffuse the light.
I use it with my FL-50R.

http://bandy.smugmug.com/CameraSetUp/Macro-Flash-Set-Up

The majority of the macros on the last few pages of this gallery http://bandy.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife were taken with this rig.

Cheers

Bandy

Latest threads

Top Bottom