Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jgreg, May 11, 2016.

1. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    What is the flash for E-M1? I was looking at the Metz 52. i read a lot about the Oly flash breaks easly.

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    The E-M1 can take a lot of different flashes from Olympus and Panasonic models made specifically for m43 and 43 camera to a number of third party flashes that support Oly TTL and to a great many flashes that can be used in Auto modes or manual modes.

Not sure which flash you mean when you say "the Oly flash" as Olympus has put out a number of flashes over the years. And by "breaks easily" do you mean physical damage (e.g. broken hotshoe foot) or operation (stops flashing but otherwise looks ok)?

Coming from the older 4/3rds line of Olympus dSLRs, I still use my old FL-50 and FL-50 flashes on mine. I also have a cheap 3rd party manual/auto flash that works fine as well.

While I have no experience with it, I am sure the Metz 52 would work fine on your E-M1. Are you looking for simply a general use hotshoe flash or did you have some specific type of flash use in mind?

3. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    I think it was the FL-60 flash with broken hot shoe. looking for mostly a general hotshot flash with more power than the stock flash. Also want bounce flash with that.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No such thing as an FL-60. I think you mean FL-600R. What is a general hot shoe flash? Every flash apart from studio strobes is designed to go on the hot shoe. Just be aware that a flash with more power than the FL-600R is going to be very huge and top heavy on your camera if you put it on the hot shoe. Big flashes are better off camera or on a flash bracket IMO.

I'm assuming based on your desire for bounce that you probably want TTL, tilt and swivel. If you also want measurably higher power than the FL-600R your choices are somewhat limited to the Metz 52 AF-1 through to 64 AF-1 range, Olympus FL-50/FL-50R, and Panasonic FL580L.

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    As @wjiang@wjiang mentioned, you probably mean the FL-600R. That is a fairly middle of the road, size wise & power, flash and is probably a good fit with the E-M1. Of course being an Oly branded flash it will also be a fair amount more expensive (~$250-260 US) than other equivalent alternatives. The FL-600R is basically more or less the same as the old FL-36 and FL-36R flashes with the main difference being the old '36s used only two AA batteries while the '600 uses four. So you could save some money picking up a second hand FL-36R and basically have the same flash, although perhaps with slower recycling times between flashes with the weaker two battery system.

As @wjiang@wjiang also mentioned, anything more powerful is going to usually be much larger and a bit more unwieldy to handle when used on a smaller OM-D camera including the Metz 52 which is about on par with the Olympus FL-50R for size and power. I have both the FL-36 and the FL-50 and while the FL-50 is definitely a much better flash it is also sometimes too much to carry around on top of a camera. The FL-36 is the one I grab when I am going out and about and the FL-50 I either use at home or if taking it out then I am usually going to use it off camera with radio triggers. I suspect that the Metz 52 might be in the same boat (where its larger size might discourage you from taking it out and using it more).

Lately some on these groups have mentioned the Neewer NW320 flash which is a very compact two AA battery flash that is nearly as powerful as the FL-600R/FL-36R but is designed in such a way that the batteries load into the flash head and almost eliminates the body part. Cheap at only about $80-ish US. I have been thinking of picking one up as a super compact travel flash or as a smaller alternative to leave in a daily bag all the time (vs. lugging around the FL-50 for no reason). Supports TTL and has both tilt and swivel. Downside of this one is it likely has a longish recycle time between flashes and may be a bit less durable than other choices. But at $80 I wouldn't be terribly upset if it got damaged or lost while traveling.

Here it is on Amazon for reference...
    Amazon.com : Neewer NW320 TTL LCD Display LED-Assistive Preview Focus Flash Speedlite for Panasonic Lumix DMC GF7 GM5 GH4 GM1 GX7 G6 GF6 GH3 G5 GF5 GX1 GF3 G3, Olympus OM-D E-M5 II E-M10 E-M1 PEN E-PL7 E-P5 : Camera & Photo

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    Thanks PakkyT I might buy a off camera cord also so size will not matter as much. But I do understand what you are talking about here. I'm going to check out the FL-36 and Neewer NW 320 to see if I like those. My favorite Nikon flash for nikon cameras is SB-400 a two double A flash and small and easy to carry around.

7. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    I was actually thinking he meant an FL-50. I consider them super-fragile.

Someone dropped one of my FL-50R's on carpet and it stopped powering on.

On another occasion, a different one fell out of my vest pocket onto marble floor while I was kneeling and the zoom head jammed.

8. NY Gadget Guy

Mar 17, 2016
    The NW320 may swivel (which I never would have guessed if you hadn't mentioned it), but only 60 degrees left and right according to the picture.

For anyone who's a Black Foamie Thing convert, that won't cut it.
    Black foamie thing - Tangents
    Even the FL-50R that swivels 180 to the left but only 90 to the right feels limiting. (Think verticals shooting downwards for pets or children, or you have better bouncing surfaces to the right rear quadrant.)

Therefore, my go-to flash is usually the DMW-FL580L. Swivels 180 degrees both ways. You can sometimes find them used for less than the cost of an FL-600R since not many people are looking for them.

9. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    I found a used FL-50 and a FL-50R. the first on was about $95 and the R $124. If they are as fragile as you say I don't want them. I would rather get a Metz then no matter how big or heavy it is. I'll check out the DMW-FL580L.

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Great prices.

NY Gadget Guy is expressing HIS own experience with these flashes. So sample size of 1. I have been using my FL-50 for many years now and have never had any issues with it and do not perceive them as fragile. So now your sample size is 2 and you a 50/50 split on that opinion. :)

11. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    Ya PakkyT I know what you mean. I might go for a used one that I found. I don't think I can go too far wrong on that. Will it work with TTL on my E-M1 camera?

12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes, FL-36, FL-36R, FL-50, and FL-50R are all TTL compatible with all the OM-D models. I believe the only old Oly flash that is not TTL compatible is the the FL-40 (which was a great flash in its day).

13. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    Well good FL-50 it is then.

14. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    I also been thinking about 17mm f/1.8, 25mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8 primes. I can only get one so I have been leaning towards the 17mm f/1.8.

15. NY Gadget Guy

Mar 17, 2016
    The FL-50R often goes for $200+ on eBay. If you've got a bead on one at $125, go for it.
    It'll give you more options as it supports RC mode (master / slave).

I vaguely recall that the flash exposure compensation controls on the FL-50 (non-R) didn't fully work and one would have to go into the fiddly menus...

16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have all three. I really haven't fully explored the 25 yet as I only got it in February, so not a lot of shots on that one yet. But of the three, I find the 17mm to be the most practical of the three being able to shoot a great variety of situations being the widest and usually being able to get closer as needed is not an issue (getting further away with longer focal lengths tend to be more of a problem).

On the other hand, if you were looking to do a lot of portraits, then the 45mm would be the more logical choice. It also tends to go for only a tad above $200(US) second hand and has been universally regarded as a very good lens for its price (almost no one does not like this lens's performance, usually it is just the focal length that may not be very everyone). It also is tiny.

I tend to shoot wide-ish or go long so those middle focal lengths in that 25mm-30mm range are not my favorite. But the next guy may love 25-30mm and find 17mm too wide. So while I like 17mm, you may have a different opinion. You might try looking at a lot of your shots taken with a zoom and see if more of them tend to be wider (say 14-20mm range) or if more tend to be well above 20mm and longer.

From memory, I think there is a menu item to turn on or off being able to adjust flash compensation from the flash itself. Perhaps that is what you are thinking? But if enabled, to adjust the flash level you simply turn the little dial to what you want. Otherwise you can adjust the compensation on the camera instead.

17. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    I agree with you I have a hard time shooting at 25mm I either go wide like 12 or 50mm. I have a 12 to 50mm Oly. I just wish this lens was a f/1.8 and it would be perfect for me. I still like it.One other lens I was looking at is 75mm-300mm Oly.

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Did you manage to find an FL-50R?
    I spotted a mint used Metz 52 AF-1 last week on our local online auction system and managed to get it for the equivalent of about 70 USD!
    So far so good, the touch screen takes some getting used to though...

19. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    You already bought it so I guess I'm out.