1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash yongnuo yn-560ii

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jrsilva, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hello!

I'm very happy to find this forum where I can share my experiences with my micro 4/3 camera and hopefully learn something more about this system.

I'm thinking about buying a YONGNUO YN-560II flash unit for my Panasonic Lumix G1 camera.
    The manufacturer says it is compatible with Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with my Lumix G1.
    Does anyone know if it is compatible?
    Anyone using this flash with a Lumix G series?

Kind regards,
    Jaime

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a few YN-560's, which are pretty much the same except with LEDs instead of an LCD.

This is a manual flash. The camera body cannot communicate with the flash. So automated features found on more expensive fully compatible flashes will not be found on this flash. In particular, you'll need to dial-in flash output levels and flash zoom settings as necessary.

When you hit the shutter the flash will fire at the user-specified power.

Using a manual flash is kinda like driving a manual transmission car. It may be frustrating for the first two weeks, but after that you'll get used to it. It isn't as easy as using a fully compatible flash that communicates with the body.

But the flash itself seems great. Lots of power, quick recycle times, sensitive slave sensor, well built.

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I use one of those. It has proven very dependable and with fast recycling. It does eat up batteries quickly, so it's wise to invest in rechargeable ones.

As Aegon says, you can only use it in manual mode (either on camera or remotely). If you use it in a controlled shooting environment (either studio or on location) there is really no problem; in fact many people prefer manual over Auto/TTL modes for better control.

4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank you very much both of you.
    You were very fast to answer my question.
    Looks like I'm going to invest on a YONGNUO YN-560II :)

Kind regards,
    Jaime

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, to those of us old hands with manual flash TTL is nothing but a frustration.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The only case in which I find TTL useful (in fact, very welcome) is if I shoot events with on-camera flash. Because most of the time you have to change distance to subject, having to manually change flash power and/or zoom is sometimes frustrating. Other than that, manual is dependable all the time and easy to use once you grasp how things work.

7. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I want to purchase an extension cable to connect the off Flash to the camera but looking on eBay I can only find cable cords for Nikon and Canon...
    Does those cables work with the YONGNUO YN-560II on my Lumix G1 camera?
    Or are there any generic cables that work with my camera?
    I've tried a search on eBay but could not find any generic one.

Thank you

8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hi lubov,

Thank you for the link.
    They say these triggers are for Canon...
    That leaves me with the same doubt: does it work on a Panasonic Lumix G1?

9. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi , yes I bought them for my canon initially and found that they also work on my x100 and GF1 without any problems.

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You mean they work as triggers not as shutter remote, is that right?

11. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Yup, thats what we're talking about right?

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks! I just pointed it out because there might be a missunderstanding those being remote shutter releases too. AFAIK, at least for Olympus (perhaps also Panasonic), the only triggers also working as remote shutter release are those from Aputure (would like to know if there are more out there).

Speaking of the RF-603s, have you found any limitations on sync speeds?

13. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Cactus V5 triggers also have cables to work as remote shutter releases with Olympus and Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've found Pixel Pawn TF-364 Wireless Flash Trigger that also work as a remote wireless control.
    They are not expensive and work perfectly on my G1 and on my G5.
    I've bought mine on eBay.

15. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    Even though I have a FL-600R and love it (for use with on camera flash, bounce, etc), YN-560ii's are my go to off camera flash for any system I shoot with. I trigger them with the Cowboy Studio wireless triggers, and I've got no issues.

As mentioned, they are manual, but oh-so-easy to adjust. I think they are perhaps the best deal in speedlights- well made, powerful, and inexpensive.

16. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    It is nice to see that accessory options for micro 4/3 are increasing fast.