1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by _BG_, May 1, 2013.

1. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Hello all,

I own an Olympus E-PL2 with kit lens and, in some situations, I believe that the popup flash just isn't enough for my needs...

For example, at a birthday dinner in a kitchen with just 2 long fluorescent bulbs if I try to take pictures through a extendable dinner table (about 3 meters long) without zoom so that I can get everyone, i.e, 14mm, the pictures become dark...

I know I probably have to increase ISO settings, without touching exposure times to avoid blurred pictures, but I was trying to keep it under 800.

So, and according to some reading I've done throughout this forum, one characteristic that I look for is in a flash is it must swivel, but I don't want anything huge or too expensive... Unfortunately, I can't find anything smaller than the Metz 44 AF-1 (and I still find it big :tongue:) that can swivel, but I'm open to suggestions...

In a near future, and because my budget is always short, my idea is to buy the Pana 14mm f2.5..

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

2. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

If you are on short budget like me, go for Nissin Di466, It's a really small, but powerful unit, and it is cheap and well built, and it's available in white as well. Metz 44 is actually bigger than olympus fl-600R. Another good and cheap option is YongNuo 560 II (Kung Pao :) ), it has only manual mode, no TTL, body is big, but it's super cheap and really powerful, price is around 70$ on ebay - great for learning flash photography

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For on camera event photography you need TTL then the Nissin is great. If you plan to use the flash for strobing then the YongNuo and a cheap radio remote will do the work.

4. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    No strobbing, I just need a more powerful flash for some family events where the popup flash doesn't work well...
    It would be nice if I could find a flash that also could swivel, but not too big... If not, I'll try the Nissin...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk HD

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The Nissin Di466 looks good. But as the head does not turn, when the camera is on it's side, for portraits, ceiling bounce flash is not available. You'd have to take it off of the camera.

6. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Yes, that seems to be the only "problem" with the Nissin one... Getting it off camera every time I shoot a portrait is a bit annoying...

For those flash units that don't swivel is there any way of bouncing light without removing of the camera?

Maybe wall bouncing?!?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk HD

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. Before u buy anything else , Just try inbuit flash at FLASH mode only . Its very powerful and I have been able to shoot even at ISO 200 in dark situations .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IMO, I'd pass on the Nissin and save a bit more for the FL600R. The features are night and day. Of course, you should check to see if the features matter to you. Its also pretty compact.

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013

Plus 1. That's for sure.

10. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

Yes I agree that FL600R is the best option, check Panasonic DMW-FL360L too, it's the same unit as oly one, only rebranded and in my country pana is actually 100$ cheaper than fl-600r. But the OP wanted something cheaper and I think that there is no option in cheap units with both tilt and swivel :-( But in past, I was using nikon sb 400 on my d5100 and it was huge improvement over built in flash, with white circular diffuser of course, even usable on that 10% shots that happened to be portraits. So for some family events, I think that fl-600r is overkill, really nice, powerful and great overkill :wink:

11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I'd recommend the FL600R as well but since the OP is looking to save some $ perhaps a 2nd hand FL-36R is worth considering as well.

12. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
  13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
  14. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Yes, you're right, it does have one, but aren't the ones I showed better?

I want to keep things small and compact, so those you showed are out of the question. Still, thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Those 2 actually fold completely flat when not inflated. And can slip inside a bag. The one you showed does not fold. It's rigid. Yet does not provide much diffusion over the in built one. It depends on what you want to do. A full studio sized softbox is the best of course. But that's huge and expensive and requires a stand!

16. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    The idea is to use that for family meetings, holidays, etc., to soften the light and disperse it more... so the ones you referred are too big to have on camera for that purpose.

I'll try first the inbuilt one, to see the results, but probably will order one of those two I mencioned...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
  18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The problem with a small diffuser is that the source of light is still small. Whether it's light coming directly out of the flash bulb or filtered through a small bit of plastic, it's still just a few inches across which causes hard shadows. If you don't plan to set up a modest softbox (I like the Lumiquest Sofbox III for an on-camera speedlight or held out at arm's length), you could aim the flash at the ceiling and attach a bounce card to direct a small amount of light directly at the subject for extra fill.