1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash + WB, E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mronen, Oct 4, 2012.

1. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Hi,

In Custom Menu G, for 'Flash (icon) + WB' there are three options: Off, WB Auto and WB Flash.

I couldn't find in the manual an explanation on how each one functions. Can someone please elaborate on it?

Thanks,
    Moshe

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    When using the flash:

Off, use the current WB setting.
    WB Auto, switch to Auto WB.
    WB Flash, use the flash WB setting ~5500K.

3. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    And the setting that gives the best results is? :smile:

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There is no best. What's "best" depends on what YOU want for that particular shot.

5. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks Mike, but I'm probably a bit thick at my head, since I don't understand it.

There is a Preset for Flash WB (5500K), along with Auto and all the other Presets, which may be chosen for WB on the Super Control Panel. I don't see which other options may be gained by this setting in Custom Menu G (There is no similar setting in the menu of E-5).

I assume that the setting for 'Auto' is evaluated from the recorded image after the shot, so the effect of the flash should come into consideration, when using flash in Auto WB mode.

Irina, I think that if you use direct flash it's best to use the Flash Preset, but if you point your flash to the ceiling or walls the light color changes significantly, so it's probably best to use Auto.

Moshe