1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash units for OMDs

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bigfella3383, May 6, 2014.

1. Bigfella3383

Bigfella3383 New to Mu-43

May 6, 2014
    For the Em5, any recommendations for a flash?
    I'm leaning towards the fl600r.

2. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    A few are waiting for the new Nissin i40 to come to m4/3rds

3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Personally, I'm holding out for the i40

Wish they'd hurry...

Z...

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nisson i40 is the only way to go. I may try Nikon version first which is already available.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Nissin i40's dials look awesome. I'm a-ok with the simple operations. Have they announced MFT support?

Edit: Looks like 4/3 is there, probably the same TTL system right?

6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Panasonic FL-360L. Looks to be identical to the FL-600R, only on B&H it's about $70 cheaper ($229 vs. $299). :D :D :D

7. Bigfella3383

May 6, 2014
    Any fl600r users?
    Cons and pros please.

8. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I have fl600r and I love it. No cons that I can see. Video light is nice too and helps with AF when necessary. It is not as powerful as my Canon 430EX II but, unlike Canon, it can act as optical slave and work with any other flash system.

Edit: Remembered one con - the base flash sync speed of FL-600R on E-M5 and E-M1 are lower than the small kit flash that comes with both of them. On E-M5 the base top flash sync speed is 1/200 (vs. 1/250 with included tiny flash) and on E-M1 the base top sync speed is 1/250 (vs. 1/320 with included tiny flash). However, the high speed sync goes all the way up to maximum shutter speed of each camera... so no issues for me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm not very savy when it comes to flashes. What are the benefits of the nissin i40 vs the olympus fl600r?

btw for the OP, I have the fl600r. I only use it occasionally. I'm happy with it when attached to the camera, and bouncing the flash.

Using it in wireless TTL mode with the small clip-on for EM5, I do tend to get underexposure. I believe it is because the clip-on flash gives a 'preflash' that affects the TTL reading. More an issue with olympus TTL than the flash itself.

10. Bigfella3383

May 6, 2014
    Appreciate the advice!!
    Thanks!!!

11. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I primarily use the FL-600r only for on camera flash. The TTL feature works flawlessly on my OMD E-M1. It is my go to lens for event photography.

My biggest complaint with the flash is the abysmal recharge time at 1/2 and full power. Depending on your battery levels you can wait anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds (even longer if your batteries are close to dying). I guess, the better question to ask is will you be doing on or off camera flash and do you need TTL? If you are doing primarily off camera flash, I would recommend using a cheaper alternative. Right now, I can't think of any other flash that has TTL capabilities off camera with a radio trigger (unless you plan on going with a long TTL cord). At the risk of advertising myself, I actually posted a review on my blog.

http://13thfloorphotography.blogspot.com/2014/03/before-cheetah-lights-there-was-olympus.html

Hope this helps

12. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    I am still fine with two FL-36Rs. Like the gentleman before said^, recharging time anywhere higher than 1/4 is ridiculous. (Also 36Rs work on TWO AA batteries.) Having said this, I forgot when was the last time I shot other than manual flash mode... so I couldn't care less about TTL stuff. However, 36Rs can be found for around $150 on ebay, and for a quick and dirty photo that absolutely NEEDS flash, they do their job. And being an Olympus native flash, the TTL and RC modes will perform flawlessly, should you need them.

Offtopic, if it's of any importance I did studio work with them 36Rs paired with some Lastolite ezyboxes. If you're on a small budget and have lots of (recharging) time, they're ok provided you work in close quarters with your lights.

13. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Except for some minor cosmetic the function of both are the same. Both are made by Panasonic.

14. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I am not familiar with 3rd party flashes, but can comment on the Oly flash units. I own both a FL36R and the FL600R. I have used both units on an EP1, EPM1 and now an E-M1.

Earlier Pen bodies seemed to have an issue of under exposing when using flashes via TTL mode. Both my Pen bodies under expose most shots when using the flashes in TTL. The E-M1 exposes perfectly. I am uncertain why this occurs, but there are many online reports indicating the same issue with the early Pens.

Recharge time is where the FL600R stands head and shoulders above the FL36R. If you are wanting to use a flash in an event situation, then the 600 will fire without needing to wait. The 36R will not and you will consciously need to monitor the charge lamp. Unfortunately, I prefer the simpler controls on the 36R, especially when using on camera manual flash.

Both are a similar size, but the 600 is heavier due to 4 x AA batteries versus 2.

15. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    :2thumbs:
    And more batteries = shorter recharging time. Worth noticing.

16. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I like my FL50Rs. :)

17. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick
    Has anyone tried the Metz 58 AF-2 series for Olympus with an OMD? I know that it is larger than the FL-600R and has a higher GN. But, I wonder how well it works with the OMD flash metering?

The reason that I am interested is that my FL-600R seems too underpowered when I use it for bounced flash off of ceilings (just about the only type of flash pictures that I take). In this use, I set my lens aperture to no higher than f4. The same ceilings and aperture give much more even lighting and better (brighter) exposure with both my Nikon speedlights (SB-800 and, believe it or not, the little SB-400) on my D700 and D5100. Zooming the flash head to concentrate the bounced light does not help much.

If you have experience with Metz or any other Olympus-dedicated flash that is more powerful than the FL-600R, I would love to hear from you.

Best,

Rick

18. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Well, the FL-50R har GN 50 as opposed to the 36 of the FL-600. You may want to try one.

But if you do try or get a Metz 58 AF-2, please give us a review!

19. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  20. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Wow! That's a serious powerhouse!