1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash trigger compatibility

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by sokar, Mar 26, 2012.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi All,

I have another question regarding flash triggers. I have been researching different flash triggers online and see that there are different mounts for canon and Nikon. It seems as though most generic triggers are made for these 2 brands, or at least the advertising spiels are aimed at canikon owners. Olympus gets a mention in the suitable flashes, but rarely in the camera bodies.

Is there any difference with these triggers? Which version is suitable for Olympus Pens (EP1 & EPM1)?

Thanks again in advance

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I believe the reason for the canon and nikon version are that they allow you to do TTL remotely.

I do not believe that there is any trigger on the market right now that supports TTL on micro four-thirds. So you are stuck in manual. So you might as well get the cheapest triggers you can buy. Pocket Wizards are not going to offer you anything more than a $20 set (except probably build quality and reliability).

If I'm wrong about this, somebody please correct me!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There are only a couple that do TTL. The rest just have dummy pins to look the goods, but use manual flash. I use a Hannel trigger (for Canon - not) on my Panasonics, Leicas, Nikon's and Olympus bodies.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. Any trigger would be for off camera manual flash only. With the EPM1 I can use the off camera TTL if needed by the RC menus.

As others have stated in other threads I have encountered the delayed flash firing from my FL36R when using the RC TTL mode, so I think it is best that I learn the correct use of manual flash off camera, once I have a good understanding of this I am not limited to TTL capable flash units.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    That's the ticket!

6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Different cameras have different trigger voltages, what might be safe on a Nikon might not be safe on a Olympus. Thats the only real issue when shopping for generic triggers.