Flash trigger compatibility

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by sokar, Mar 26, 2012.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi All,

I have another question regarding flash triggers. I have been researching different flash triggers online and see that there are different mounts for canon and Nikon. It seems as though most generic triggers are made for these 2 brands, or at least the advertising spiels are aimed at canikon owners. Olympus gets a mention in the suitable flashes, but rarely in the camera bodies.

Is there any difference with these triggers? Which version is suitable for Olympus Pens (EP1 & EPM1)?

Thanks again in advance

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I believe the reason for the canon and nikon version are that they allow you to do TTL remotely.

I do not believe that there is any trigger on the market right now that supports TTL on micro four-thirds. So you are stuck in manual. So you might as well get the cheapest triggers you can buy. Pocket Wizards are not going to offer you anything more than a $20 set (except probably build quality and reliability).

If I'm wrong about this, somebody please correct me!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There are only a couple that do TTL. The rest just have dummy pins to look the goods, but use manual flash. I use a Hannel trigger (for Canon - not) on my Panasonics, Leicas, Nikon's and Olympus bodies.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. Any trigger would be for off camera manual flash only. With the EPM1 I can use the off camera TTL if needed by the RC menus.

As others have stated in other threads I have encountered the delayed flash firing from my FL36R when using the RC TTL mode, so I think it is best that I learn the correct use of manual flash off camera, once I have a good understanding of this I am not limited to TTL capable flash units.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    That's the ticket!

6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Different cameras have different trigger voltages, what might be safe on a Nikon might not be safe on a Olympus. Thats the only real issue when shopping for generic triggers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.