Flash Terminal Cap for EM-1 III

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Somewhere I lost the cap for the flash terminal on my Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mark III.

Searching on Google, I can't seem to find an exact replacement. I only see caps for the EM-1 Mark II. Are they the same part?

What's more, the caps I am able to find seem to be pretty expensive — as much as $16. To my surprise, there are no cheap knockoffs available on eBay etc.

Any ideas on where I can find something reliable and reasonably priced? From what I understand, without this cap the camera's water sealing is compromised.

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks @jbruce but I'm not talking about the hot shoe but rather the "external flash terminal" port on the front of the device. It's number 16 in this diagram from the manual.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.38.14 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I use a Vello replacement cover from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888040-REG
It is kind of pricey considering that I buy it not for the level but just for the cover. But it works GREAT - it's kind of rubbery and will never slide out accidentally. I have one on an E-M10.2 and one on an E-M5.3.

Edit: Oops, just saw your reply. Well, anyway, I'll leave this here for anyone else looking for such a thingie...

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
If you go to this page:

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/parts.html

and use a filter for E-M1 Mark III, you only get 2 hits, not including what you want. If you use a filter of E-M1 Mark II, you get a bunch of hits, one of which is the Flash terminal cap. But it is only $5.94. Not sure what they'd charge for shipping ($33! :biggrin: ), but for $5.94 I think I'd take a chance and get it.
Edit: shipping is $5.

Edit2 - according to this DPReview thread, that part is "industry standard":
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4388814
(2nd post down in the thread)

Last edited:

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Yes thanks I did see that. Does anyone know if the part is the same for the Mark II as for the Mark III?

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks @RAH

It would be great if that were a standard cap, though that thread seems to be referring to the original EM-1, so the same part of the EM-1 Mark III may not be industry standard?

In fact, when I look at the uscamera.com page linked in @rodriguezphoto's message in that thread, it says:

Please note. This cap does not fit the OM-D E-M1 MarkII, OM-D E-M5 MKII

And then it links to a page for a cap with part number WC5494. I can't seem to confirm if that WC5494 cap fits on the Mark III though.

If anyone has any idea where I can find a list of part numbers for the Mark III, that would be great too. Thanks all.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Thanks @RAH

It would be great if that were a standard cap, though that thread seems to be referring to the original EM-1, so the same part of the EM-1 Mark III may not be industry standard?

In fact, when I look at the uscamera.com page linked in @rodriguezphoto's message in that thread, it says:

And then it links to a page for a cap with part number WC5494. I can't seem to confirm if that WC5494 cap fits on the Mark III though.

If anyone has any idea where I can find a list of part numbers for the Mark III, that would be great too. Thanks all.
On the Europe/GB shop you can filter accessories by camera model. This is the return for the E-M1 Mark III: Link

Strangely the ‘syncro cover’ listed there states that it’s “Compatible with: E‑M1 Mark II / E‑M1X / E‑M5 Mark II” : Link

Not conclusive but I’d take this to be simply a case of sloppy referencing and assume that it’s good for all E-M1/5 models with the sync port.

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks @comment23 that's helpful. I just ordered the same from the US Olympus site. I'll report back on whether or not it's compatible.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Even though the sync socket is standard the little caps can be different. Some are very cheap and seem to fall out, and other have a better grip piece on the outside making them easier to put on.

I had to buy my spare flash sync cover for my EM1.3 from a distributor in another state in Australia who Olympus pointed me too. Apparently Olympus Australia do not sell these small items to consumers. Since postage was expensive for the flash caps alone so I purchased a few, and also some battery grip terminal covers for the bottom of the camera.

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
@khoi, all the bits for the E-M1 III are the same as fit the E-M1 II. I have both and can assure you the only differences are the processor (and what's made possible with it) and the added focus steering button. Same auxiliary battery pack, same batteries etc.

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
@Dave in Wales may well be correct but for what it’s worth, I can confirm
that the flash terminal cap that Olympus lists for the EM-1 II does fit the EM-1 III. I just received the replacement from Olympus US yesterday. Works great.

Unfortunately there’s no thunder bolt icon on it, but oh well.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
This flash terminal cap required to maintain the weather-sealing of the camera, right? And any flash terminal cap will do?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
This flash terminal cap required to maintain the weather-sealing of the camera, right?
Not if it was designed properly. Should be a connector with no open entry into the body of the camera. What does the manual say (although they also claim the hotshoe cover needs to be in place for weatherproofing which I think it being over cautious and not true).

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
I use a Vello replacement cover from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888040-REG
It is kind of pricey considering that I buy it not for the level but just for the cover. But it works GREAT - it's kind of rubbery and will never slide out accidentally. I have one on an E-M10.2 and one on an E-M5.3.

Edit: Oops, just saw your reply. Well, anyway, I'll leave this here for anyone else looking for such a thingie...
Way off original topic here, but:
= $8 for a 6-pack of 3 single bubble, 3 double-bubble

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
Thanks @jbruce but I'm not talking about the hot shoe but rather the "external flash terminal" port on the front of the device. It's number 16 in this diagram from the manual.

View attachment 901646
Think that might be the same as Nikon caps (sure looks like it anyway) but don't know about the water resistance part. I have a Nikon and an E-M1 and will try it tomorrow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom