Flash Sync Problems - EM-1 + SB910 + PWIII

Venser

Mu-43 Regular
After ditching my Nikon, I started to shoot some studio shots with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 recently and I get the curtain in the shot way too frequently.

I'm using PW III's as trigger and receiver along with a Nikon SB910. Both PW III's are set to the same channel and the SB910 is in full manual mode. The camera itself is full manual and the shutter is currently set at 1/160, well above the minimum sync speed. Both shots below were taken within ten seconds of each other. This happens all too frequently, where one shot clearly has the curtain in the shot and the other is fine. If I were to keep shooting, this normally takes place somewhere in the 20-25% vicinity. Have other people experience something similar using off camera flash units?

Last edited:

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
If I remember the info from the manual, 1/320 x-sync works with Oly flashes, but anything else that is off camera is only rated to work consistently at 1/125 shutter speed. 1/160 and you are overshooting the shutter.

Venser

Mu-43 Regular
After wasting two hours firing away and many batteries later, don't worry they're rechargeable, it was something extremely simple.

The SB910 would go to standby and the first firing afterwards would exhibit this problem. That explains the unexpected infrequency. I often do self portraits where I do something take a couple shots, move around and change settings and repeat. The first shot would always have the curtain sync as part of the image when the flash was coming off standby.

CS

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom