flash sync cover for em1 mk2

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
I suspect losing the flash sync cover is a reason the camera isn't weatherproof anymore. I can't find one on ebay or amazon. Anybody know where I can get 1? with link prefereably...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am not sure if Olympus does anything special for weather resistance.
Agreed. Likely it is a blind connector (read: solid rubber stopper with contact pins protruding through it to the outside world) and therefore if Oly designed it right getting water into that connector shouldn't go any further than the outer side of that connector.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Agreed. Likely it is a blind connector (read: solid rubber stopper with contact pins protruding through it to the outside world) and therefore if Oly designed it right getting water into that connector shouldn't go any further than the outer side of that connector.
The camera is warranted weather and dust proof without the hot shoe cover. All other covers must be in place and properly fitted, in my understanding.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
The 12-40 may not be weather resistant then. I had to put it in some dessicant for 3 or 4 days before it started working again. The camera started working within 2 days, so maybe the leak wasn't too bad.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The camera is warranted weather and dust proof without the hot shoe cover. All other covers must be in place and properly fitted, in my understanding.
OP is not talking about the hotshoe cover but the flash sync cover on the front, above the lens mount button, and I have read how others lacking that cover compromised the weatherproofing of their camera, and here I read it again.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's exactly what I also said, Doady.
Okay, I am just glad it is now clear, so OP no longer blames his 12-40mm and avoids further damage to his camera.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Getolympus email response

Dear Mr. Walter,

Thank you for your email.

I would recommend to search online on ebay.com, "Olympus Sync Terminal Cap".

The sync cap is the same for all OMD Cameras, EM1, EM5, EM10 and all the variants.

Currently small accessories are not available in our Canadian Site.​

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have read how others lacking that cover compromised the weatherproofing of their camera, and here I read it again.
Specifically the OP indicated that they "suspected" not having the cap would make the camera no longer weatherproof. Not an anecdotal reference to them actually losing weatherproofing.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Getolympus email response

Dear Mr. Walter,

Thank you for your email.

I would recommend to search online on ebay.com, "Olympus Sync Terminal Cap".

The sync cap is the same for all OMD Cameras, EM1, EM5, EM10 and all the variants.​
Well technically, the sync cap is the same for all E-m1 cameras (including E-m1x), plus the E-m5 mark II. The E-m5 mark I and mark III cameras do not have pc-sync. Nor do the E-m10 cameras.

beameup

Mu-43 Regular
Mine vanished almost immediately. I ordered a dozen Chinese replacements since it is pretty generic. They still fall off. Perhaps some silicone adhesive is needed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom