Flash suggestions for GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, May 25, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'd like to start playing with external flash on/off my GH2. Of course, this means I have to get a flash, but at the same time I'm not an expert.

Right now I'm eyeing the Metz 50.

I'd like to hear suggestions about which external flash(es) you've used with the GH2 (specifically!) and what works/doesn't work.

For example:
    • TTL metering
    • high-speed sync
    • optical slave
    • wireless triggering

Thanks! The various flash specs I've look at are disappointingly vague (x,y,z features supported only on certain bodies).

Edit: as an addendum, could any of these flashes work for water drop photography?

2. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I have the Metz 50 AF and I love it. In fact, I returned my Metz 44 in order to get the 50. High speed flash and manual zoom is great!

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Thanks Joe. Care to expand on what you use it for?

4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I use the Panasonic FL-500. This is a good flash that offers a whole lot of coupling advantages when used with the GH2. If you really want to play with off-camera, portable flash, it is very hard to beat Dynalite. FWIMBW, I find that going off-camera or TTL work best and hybrid attempts have you worrying more about the gear than about the photo.

Best regards,
    Tom

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Can you elaborate?

And again please?

6. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Sprinke, Before I bought the FL-500, I used Nikon flashes, i.e. SB-800 and 900. I have read that there can be coupling issues with several different strobes and the GH2 hot shoe. I can tell you that there are no coupling issues with the FL-5oo. The light output seems to be reasonable and consistent. The build quality seems to be quite adequate. The wide angle diffusion lens works adequately. It is a shame that the FL-500 does not come with an effective bounce card or diffusion zone. I do not consider the FL-500 to be quite up to Nikon flashes, but it also sells for 15% to 20% less. Frankly, I avoid using on-camera or on-camera type flashes whenever possible and only in emergency situations.

I hope this answers your request.

Regards,
    Tom

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    My gh2 and a pair of Metz 58af2 guns arrive this week. I'll let you know how they run together then.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. lwd

lwd New to Mu-43

May 14, 2011
    The Nissin di466 does TTL and is a realistic size for a m4/3 camera if you're going to do anything on camera. It's specs are not bad and build quality is good. Plus it's cheap!

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Gordon, how's it working?

10. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm curious about this, too. Have you tried to use one Metz in the hotshoe and the other off-camera with high-speed sync? Can you even do that?

Thanks.

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the gh2 has wireless ttl, no need to go optical slave. The metz is a ttl slave. Nissin di466 is optical only.

12. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    IMG_0562sml.

The Metz's are great. They're working flawlessly. I actually prefer them to the Canon 580exII I just got rid of. I've done two commercial shoots using them both off camera as manual slaves. I didn't know the GH-2 had wireless TTL. Will have to look into that.

On camera they work perfectly with the cameras I have (EP-1, EP-2, EPL-1, G2 and GH2). They're large compared to the GH2 and unwieldy when using the pancakes. But with the 14-140 or 45 macro the whole thing handles fine.

I'm very happy with my purchase. Got them on ebay from someone in Israel. About A$350.00 each and two weeks to arrive.

Just as a side note the SF58 Leica is exactly the same unit and costs $1495.00 here!!!!!!

Gordon

13. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    If the GH-2 has wireless TTL, I, for the life of me, can't find how to set it. And a google search has many mentions of the GH-2 NOT having wireless TTL.

Are you sure it does?

Gordon

14. Leica would never do such a thing, surely?!

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    You might be correct, I just read the spec, no mention of master mode for the built in flash. Guess those early reports were wrong.

16. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    No wireless TTL on any of the Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras.

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    they really need to add it for a high end body. Entry levels are getting them also. the epl's and the canon 600D all under 900 dollar kits. And the pentax k-x and k-r not to expensive either.

18. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I have an olympus FL-36...

Wait...... wait...... wait.... almost.... wait.... okay! Flash....... wait ......wait.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, how true Alan. Isn't that part of the FL-36's character and charm? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yup. It's too true...