Flash/Strobist thread...

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just realized that we don't have a thread dedicated to flash photography. Since mu-4/3 is often a 'step up' from point and shoot, use of separate flash is also often a new skill set to consider.

I propose that we use this thread to share info on flashes, technique, resources, etc.

I am no expert with flash. As George Carlin said "We're all Bozo's on this bus". So let's start pooling our knowledge! (I should add, I have seen many pictures here where flash was used - so I know the skills are already here!)

The best resource I have found for using small flashes/strobes is www.strobist.blogspot.com. There are lots of free lessons/exercises and examples. There's also a large following on Flickr.

I use the Oly Fl36R. I had a Nikon SB-26, which was fine for manual and Auto (using the flashes sensor), but there are times when I wanted full TTL control. The E-P's w/o built in flash (1 and 2) don't have remote capability, so the R in FL36R is not used. However, if you want to use the flash as a Slave, you need the FL36R. BTW, the Canon TTL cord works fine with Oly flashes.

Yesterday I posted a Picture a Day shot using flash, which is what inspired me to start this thread. So I'll kick this thread off with that photo.

I used a "snoot" - a roll of black paper taped to the flash head which produces a very focused light pattern. The shot was taken in a well-lit room, but with manual metering at least 4 stops down only the flash counts:

E-P1, 17mm, f3.5, iso 400, 1/60. Manual flash about 1/16 with snoot
4388555706_4223d436e7_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pointoneeight

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for starting this thread Tom, I'll have a good read of the Strobist link. I use the OLY FL36R on my GF1 as well. I've not experimented too much yet, other than a composite for the reflections image quest and one for my PAD yesterday.

I was going to ask how you put your PAD iamge together and now I don't need to :) I will have to give that technique a try for one of my entries soon. Thanks for sharing

Alan

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks for starting this thread, Tom. Lighting is an area I hope to learn much more about over the next couple of years! I'm using an Oly FL-50R on my G1/GH1, but I haven't really tried any creative use of flash yet.

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
I did a model shoot the other week, with Pocket Wizard and using my Elinchrom Strobes.

It was a model I knew so she didnt bat an eye lid when I put down the D700 and said, lets try this mini-cam :)

It was certainly odd to shoot with it at arms length, and this is the limitation of the GF1 (cant have a trigger and a EVF on the hotshoe). I would say however that I would happily shoot models with a G1 or GH1 and I may well be getting an additional m4/3 cam soon for that very reason.

I do a lot of location model work, and to go from 2 rucksacks down to a small bag with some speed lights, pocket wizards and a bunch of m4/3 would be incredible!

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Excellent idea for a new thread, Tom !
And I would like to join in with a question already !

I own a professionnal flash set (generator, tripods, diffusors, lamp heads, ...) that I use a lot in combination with my SINAR and some film Nikons.
The set is synchronised through a cable that could be readily inserted in the Nikon bodies or in the Rodenstock lenses (shutter).

But, my G1 does not seem to have a flash synchro out.

So, how can I connect that together ?

TIA,
Rafael

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I did a model shoot the other week, with Pocket Wizard and using my Elinchrom Strobes.

It was a model I knew so she didnt bat an eye lid when I put down the D700 and said, lets try this mini-cam :)

It was certainly odd to shoot with it at arms length, and this is the limitation of the GF1 (cant have a trigger and a EVF on the hotshoe). I would say however that I would happily shoot models with a G1 or GH1 and I may well be getting an additional m4/3 cam soon for that very reason.

I do a lot of location model work, and to go from 2 rucksacks down to a small bag with some speed lights, pocket wizards and a bunch of m4/3 would be incredible!

Thanks for posting, cstevens. I've seen somewhere that someone taped flash leads to the hotshoe and still fitted the EVF. Surely someone will produce a more reliable, thin piece for that purpose. The EVF apparently doesn't use the hotshoe contacts at all. :2thumbs:

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for posting, cstevens. I've seen somewhere that someone taped flash leads to the hotshoe and still fitted the EVF. Surely someone will produce a more reliable, thin piece for that purpose. The EVF apparently doesn't use the hotshoe contacts at all. :2thumbs:

Well, one thing you could easily do is to tape an IR gel over the popup flash and use that to trigger your flashes. In the studio this would work well.

However I do quite a bit of location work and IR just doesnt cut it unfortunately. However this is only a problem with the GF1/Pens of the range, the G1 and GH1 already have a EVF so you could put a trigger/PW on that.

I just find when shooting this sort of work it just doesnt feel right not bringing the camera up to the eye.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
IR vs Slave vs wireless

Pop-up is great advantage of the Panny's and the new Oly - but I have no pop-up on my E-P1. Not sure why you need IR? Why not just use the Slave function (if you have it?). Agree that IR and Slave are limited to controlled situations, such as studio.

I often use a wireless remote. I tried the Cactus V4, but it it creates interference patterns with m4/3 sensors -AVOID! I now use the RF-602, which can also be used as a wireless shutter release.

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
You'd use the IR if you didn't want the on-camera flash to contribute to the exposure, although you could just turn it down to the minimum setting which would have the same effect in most situations.

Playing around with off-camera flash is a really fun way to get creative - I recommend it!

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
I have just found this, which might be of use if you want a small flash, triggered by your camera flash and still use the EVF.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electro...litz-28-cs-2-digital/product-information.html

I do a bit of "close" work and this might be a good little flash to have in the m4/3 bag (my SB-800/900's weigh more than my GF1.

Three Different Slave Modes
Guide No. 72' At 35mm
Designed for Cameras Without a Hot Shoe
Built-In Bracket
24mm Wide Angle and 85mm Tele-Adapters
Lightweight - Only 5 Ounces
Compact - 3 x 5" --Fits In A Pocket

Review here http://www.urban75.org/photos/metz-mecablitz-28-cs2.html

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
E-P1/2 strobist

Hi guys. (Sorry mods, I can't find a thread here regarding strobes).

I just signed up for a workshop that will be held this saturday. I actually thought that the workshop was for basic photography workshop (and I was so excited).. however, it turned out that its a portraiture workshop which will involve strobes and flash (and now Im scarred). I already paid my friend (our teacher) and promissed to attend his workshop. And guess what... I only have my e-p1 with my kit lens.

Ok.... yesterday I bought a Yongnuo c301-p and a yongnuo flash and some eneloops batteries without even knowing if it will work with my camera... I just felt that it will work.... and it did (great!)!!! Now I have my flash and wireless trigger (problem solved with flash session). but how about triggers for strobes? Do you have any suggestions? I prefer the cheap ones since I don't have much budget... and its not actually not part of my plan....

Thanks for the help guys.

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

I have no informations about your subject, but here a fellow from the German Leica forum has a lot of experience for you. He is very helpful in terms of camera gear. Just drop him a line and tell him, that you got the link from Bernd from Leica forum Germany.....:thumbup:

http://www.peterlueck.com/

BTW: his pics made with small cameras are phantastic!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
two threads into one

Ed, as you can now see I've merged your new thread into this existing one.:biggrin:

P.S. I used the word strobes in the search field and chose to search by "post" though in this case the title of the thread there used strobist. The search brought up the use of strobes in the body of the thread.

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

I have no informations about your subject, but here a fellow from the German Leica forum has a lot of experience for you. He is very helpful in terms of camera gear. Just drop him a line and tell him, that you got the link from Bernd from Leica forum Germany.....:thumbup:

http://www.peterlueck.com/

BTW: his pics made with small cameras are phantastic!

Thanks... he has really nice set.

Ed, here is an existing thread that is not specifically geared to any one camera: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1185&highlight=strobes Take a read through and if you want, I think it would be a great place to show us and tell us about what you're learning. It's in the Image Works forum, where there are many really interesting threads discussing both the technical and aesthetic sides of photography.:cool:

P.S. I used the word strobes in the search field and chose to search by "post" though in this case the title of the thread there did have the word in it. However, it did not show up when I just used the singular strobe. Surprising to me.

Once again, thanks BBW. I was expecting you actually. thank you very much.:smile:

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
Ed, I do a lot of "strobist" work... Ebay has a ton of chinese made radio triggers for under 50 bucks for the receiver and transmitter.... U might just have to buy a hotshot w/sync cable adapter for the flash (10 bucks)..

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Pop-up is great advantage of the Panny's and the new Oly - but I have no pop-up on my E-P1. Not sure why you need IR? Why not just use the Slave function (if you have it?). Agree that IR and Slave are limited to controlled situations, such as studio.

I often use a wireless remote. I tried the Cactus V4, but it it creates interference patterns with m4/3 sensors -AVOID! I now use the RF-602, which can also be used as a wireless shutter release.

Tom. The RF-602. You mean you can fire strobes using this with e-p1?

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
Im really learning alot..stevens. your refering to pocket wizard plus II ryt?

Yes, its the Plus II's that I have, these are a few years old and purchased when reliable 3rd party triggers where not. I now also swear by the ones I bought from HK, but when you need to ensure that everything works, then the Pocket Wizard is the king of triggers, especially since my light meter has a built in pocket wizard trigger also.

The "cheap" ones I have from ebay are the CTR 301's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flas...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item3a5227b057

These work so well both indoors and outdoors, never had a problem with them.

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, its the Plus II's that I have, these are a few years old and purchased when reliable 3rd party triggers where not. I now also swear by the ones I bought from HK, but when you need to ensure that everything works, then the Pocket Wizard is the king of triggers, especially since my light meter has a built in pocket wizard trigger also.

The "cheap" ones I have from ebay are the CTR 301's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flas...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item3a5227b057

These work so well both indoors and outdoors, never had a problem with them.

hi steven,

I just got the c301-p and it works great along with my HK made flash. what I need is a device for e-p1 which will trigger strobes. Im sure the pocket wizard can do that.. .but I can't afford it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom