1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

flash stand for fl600r

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shermanshen, Sep 28, 2015.

1. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Looking for flash stand recommendations. I'm using a two fl600r setup and have so far made due with a tripod and shelf/whatever else I can prop the flash on. Having used my flash setup enough, I'm ready to actually invest in a couple proper stands. There are so many on Amazon with mixed reviews that I thought I would turn to the mu-43 community for help.

I'm also curious if the mount for the light stand is universal or if I have to get one specific for the fl600?

Lastly, I've been considering getting some more powerful lights like the Bowens Gemini 400s. Are there others that you'd recommend? I've seen some for quite a bit cheaper, but I'm a little wary of the bargain price on some of them.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stands are universal, with 1/4 in and 3/8 in screw mounts (and probably adaptors too), just like tripods. You can also get various cold shoes that screw in that will really work with just about anything.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya any stand and then get one of these...
    http://amzn.com/B003TYDBYQ

You can see from the third photo on the listing how it attached to the top of a stand and how you can also tilt the flash as needed. Plus it has the hole to hold an umbrella.

I used just this setup on a couple senior portrait shoots I did. FL-50 flash mounted on a cheap radio trigger receiver and the flash+receiver combo slides onto the top of holder+stand combo. Then I used a 42" shoot through umbrella. Radio trigger transmitter on my E-M1. Worked a treat. The whole stand is light and can be picked up and carried around.

Note, if you do use an umbrella outdoors bring something to weight the stand legs (a cheap velcro strap wrist weight from a Walmart exercise set works great), have someone hold the stand, or remain close enough to it to keep your toe on the stand foot.

As to Monolights, since I only use them once every blue moon, I bought Adorama's "Flashpoint" (house brand) ones in the past and they work very well for my limited needs. If you are not sure if you are going to like or use a studio type light something like this is a good place to play around...
    http://www.adorama.com/FPLFBF300K1.html

$140 gets you a monolight, stand and umbrella. Buy the adapter like I linked above and you just substitute your fl600r for the monolight and take it portable (the monolight plugs into the wall, so you are limited to available outlets). You can of course looks at Adoroma's other kits if you want more than one light or somewhat more powerful lights. But I found with the budget models I bought, indoors I rarely used them past 1/2 power so home use you often don't need the biggest lights. This one is a middle of the road one. They have kits with lower power outputs as well if you wanted to go even cheaper.

4. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @shermanshen@shermanshen

I bought this pair via Amazon several months ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMOTAY for $61. They aren't nearly as cheap as the CowboyStudio, Neweers and such but they don't feel like they're made from low-grade umbrella metal. These are certainly heaver, will hold up much better in light wind and have a spring suspension in the main tube should you need to put items with a somewhat more weight on them. I think they are a good value.

I also bought this set of flash and umbrella mounts to put on the stands. Definitely not the best but adequately well made. The thing that worries me is the hotshoe mount. You have to be careful when putting in plastic-footed flashes as it looks like they could be easily damaged if over tightened. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034WR71G for $15 a pair.

I hope the information is helpful to you.

5. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a calumet 8' stand and a neewer mount. I'm still thinking about getting a set of monolights. The Adoramas seem like a pretty great deal, I've also seen a neewer set on Amazon that is pretty affordable. I think I'll see what I can do with what I have and make a decision later on.