Flash setups

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wrxspdwgn, Aug 26, 2015.

1. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    I have an outdoor wedding reception in a tent in a backyard that I have been asked to take photos at. I will be using my OMD E-M1 with the 12-40mm f2.8 pro lens. I currently have a FL-50R Olympus flash which I could use to take photos of the guests and the band. I'm curious as to what flash setups other photographers may have used to shoot similar events.
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Here are my options from simple to complex.

FL-50R with NiMH batteries

When I know I’ll need full power a lot or fast recycling I use a Quantum SC battery with the FL-50R. However the high voltage cable for the FL-50R are now near impossible to find. I need some replacements and have custom cables being made now.

There used to be 3rd party AA battery packs sold for the FL-50R. Never used one and I don’t know if they are still available.

When I need more power than the FL-50R can deliver I use a Quantum T5D-r on a bracket hooked to a Quantum Turbo 3 or Turbo SC battery and an on camera Quantum D10W Wireless QTTL Adapter - a cable runs from the QTTL adapter. This provides QTTL (The D10W meters the light) flash, TTL flash (the camera meters the lights), an amazing automatic or auto fill metering mode, or full manual if needed. In full manual I can get nearly three times the power of the FL-50R and a whole lot better light quality no matter how it is used.

If I need more power – I’ll use off camera Quantum T5D-r s with FreeXwire 7Qs attached. And then an on camera Quantum CoPilot QF91N transmitter. This only works in manual mode and provides power adjustment from the camera for each of up to 3 groups.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Jonathan, I looked at it. Amazing price. But, is it any good? Any problems with it. Aargh, the vendor won't ship to Hawaii. Oh well...
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just received it today. First impressions...it's huge! I'm guessing this flash was made with the standard Olympus Four-Thirds cameras. Other than that, controls are straight forward. TTL works as advertised and the flash also triggers easily in slave mode for off shoe shooting. I wish it was a little smaller, but for the price and output range I'm not complaining!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's the Panasonic DMW-FL580L which is a modern designed for m4/3 GN58 unit. Kind of like the FL-600R/FL360L on steroids.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

if the ambient light is warm sunlight, consider placing a proper gel in front of that fill flash. It will make it easier to color balance your flash and ambient in post. If no battery pack, bring along a lot of good quality batteries (Eneloops for example).

In the past, I've relied on non-TTL (using different system). Generally a couple Sunpak 422D and/or 622pro with Sunpak TR-PAK high voltage battery packs that have been modified to take RC-car NiMH batteries. Fast recycle, lots of power (enough to melt the flash if not careful), inexpensive, 422D has replaceable shoes.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Thank you all for your input on this. I will have to check on the time of day that the party is taking place. The last time I took photos at a family wedding I took a few shots at the reception using a Canon 40D with a 580EXll flash in the hot shoe and bounced with all manual settings. I can't recall if it was set to one shot or AI servo.
  9. DavidF

DavidF New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2015
    I use Nikon SB800s off camera, triggered by an on-camera Strato II Multi radio transmitter. Not TTL though.
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    If you don't mind manual, try the Canon flash on your mu43 cam.
  11. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I shoot weddings with an an FL600 as controller and 2xFL50R's dotted around. Very reliable setup. I wouldn't touch that cheap POS flash for commercial use.
  12. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I shoot with two of these flashes, Metz 58322OPL 58 AF-2 Digital Shoe Mount Flash for Olympus/Leica/Panasonic. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metz-58322O...ash-for-Olympus-Leica-Panasonic-/201309676401