Flash Recommendations

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I love the dinky little batteryless flash that comes with the OM-D E_m5 iii; it works well at home when bouncing light off ceilings, walls, etc. However, it's underpowered in larger areas or rooms with higher ceilings. I used Speedlite 580X's and 430's in my Canon days and was wondering what the Olympus / 43 equivalents might be. Any recommended flashes, please?

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Are you going to use it on camera or off camera?
Yes. ?

I was looking to set up a similar system to one I had when using Canon kit:
- on camera as a single flash,
- off camera but attached via an extension / adaptor cable to the camera hotshoe,
- on camera triggering other flashes wirelessly.

I've just looked at the Godox V860ii (roughly a Speedlite 580 equivalent) but it's large for the 5iii body and erodes the portability benefits of my switching to Olympus. I'll look deeper into the Godox system and try and work out what works with what and how. But always happy to learn from the experience of others.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I have the Godox 350o as well, nice little flash
Only thing to be aware of is it only uses 2 AA so the batteries can drain quicker than a 4 battery unit, if that matters for your use case. When i do spider macro work i go through 2 sets. This flash has an easier menu system compared to Oly flashes, for me at least.

If you just need a TTL small flash with no manual controls the Metz 26 AF-2 is a very compact unit. I have one of these and they are very compact. I can use camera controls to vary the flash output insteasd of the flash

I also have a Nisan flash, I like it the best. Compact very easy to use dial controls but it has been repaired twice under warranty, so i doubt i will get another one

Also have an Oly flash, forgot which one. Never gets used now dont like the menu system on it, godox far better and cheaper

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Only thing to be aware of is it only uses 2 AA so the batteries can drain quicker than a 4 battery unit, if that matters for your use case. When i do spider macro work i go through 2 sets. This flash has an easier menu system compared to Oly flashes, for me at least.

If you just need a TTL small flash with no manual controls the Metz 26 AF-2 is a very compact unit. I have one of these and they are very compact. I can use camera controls to vary the flash output insteasd of the flash

I also have a Nisan flash, I like it the best. Compact very easy to use dial controls but it has been repaired twice under warranty, so i doubt i will get another one

Also have an Oly flash, forgot which one. Never gets used now dont like the menu system on it, godox far better and cheaper

Thanks the power warning. I'm happy to sacrifice battery longevity for portability. Any menu system has to better than those of the original 580's which were hideous convoluted.

I think I'll go for the Godox 350O and later get the Xpro controller if I need to expand to more flashes. I can't believe the Godox prices; they're so cheap compared to what I've paid in the past even when buying second hand.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks the power warning. I'm happy to sacrifice battery longevity for portability. Any menu system has to better than those of the original 580's which were hideous convoluted.

I think I'll go for the Godox 350O and later get the Xpro controller if I need to expand to more flashes. I can't believe the Godox prices; they're so cheap compared to what I've paid in the past even when buying second hand.
I purchaed the Godox controller as well, the one with the passthrough hot shoe. Forgot the model number and not at home to check, got the v2.
I would have to agree Godox seem very good for the price. I am going to get another 350o and the larger model later this year.

For portability have a lok at the Metz one in my last post. I had to order it in but for a compact flash that can be pointed along your lens very close it is good for getting into tight places where you could have problems with flash shadows woith normal height flashes. I was cheap as well.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Yes. ?

I was looking to set up a similar system to one I had when using Canon kit:
- on camera as a single flash,
- off camera but attached via an extension / adaptor cable to the camera hotshoe,
- on camera triggering other flashes wirelessly.

I've just looked at the Godox V860ii (roughly a Speedlite 580 equivalent) but it's large for the 5iii body and erodes the portability benefits of my switching to Olympus. I'll look deeper into the Godox system and try and work out what works with what and how. But always happy to learn from the experience of others.
If you like the OEM flash, go with FL-700wr. It is nice and reasonably small, powerful and weather sealed. Quite expensive at £330. I have an older FL-600r and it’s nice.
Recently bought a Godox V1 - quite large and heavy, but great for off-camera use with an Xpro controller. Very easy to setup and there is a lot of accessories to build a portable studio. Actually liked it so much, that also added an AD200 pro flash. The beauty of Godox is that all their flashs play very nice together as a system and their prices are very good, well built as well. V860ii will be cheaper, but not as good as V1, TT350 smaller and lighter, but not as powerful. Also no weather sealing on Godox.

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you want to go thru the camera (mounted) the godox x1 has the shoe mount.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon

The Godox V350o is like the TT350o but with a li-ion battery.

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
The Godox V350o is like the TT350o but with a li-ion battery.
Thanks for the info but I think I'll stick with the TT battery model. As an amateur photographer, I can't see myself taking more than the TT's specified 210 flashes in one session let alone the V's 500. The TT's a bit smaller, slightly lighter and considerably cheaper too. Plus I already have eight Eneloop batteries in a drawer doing nothing. ?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Thanks for the info but I think I'll stick with the TT battery model. As an amateur photographer, I can't see myself taking more than the TT's specified 210 flashes in one session let alone the V's 500. The TT's a bit smaller, slightly lighter and considerably cheaper too. Plus I already have eight Eneloop batteries in a drawer doing nothing. ?
Good plan. I have the TT myself and although the V wasn’t released at the time I bought it, I’d go the same way again based on the price difference.

Mike_D

Mu-43 Regular
Yet another vote for Godox (though I've bought them from Adorama under the Flashpoint brand). I have several and am very pleased. They all can function as a controller if you want to go off camera (which I encourage if you'ver never tried). The Li-ion units recycle very quickly and seem like they go on forever.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Many around here seem to be very happy with the Godox line and the smallest cheapest TTL compatible for Olympus is probably the Godox TT350o (where the "oh" on the end is for Olympus).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341875-REG/godox_tt350o_ttl_mirrorless_camera_flash.html
Also look at the Flashpoint line of flashes from Adorama Camera they are rebranded Godox but in some cases have more features than the Godox models. Also sometimes there are price incentives. I recommend the models using the Large rechargeable batteries.

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Also look at the Flashpoint line of flashes from Adorama Camera they are rebranded Godox but in some cases have more features than the Godox models. Also sometimes there are price incentives. I recommend the models using the Large rechargeable batteries.
Sadly, being in the UK means we don't have such large stores as B&H and Adorama. All the local shops and national online stores I usually patronise are out of stock so I've had to resort to Amazon.
Godox for me. V350 and 560 both with li-on batteries and an ST-IV trigger. Just works.
Thanks for the recommendation. So far nothing but praise for Godox including from a Nikon wielding friend who loves them too.

A TT350O should be here tomorrow. My usage simply doesn't justify the extra for the li-on version.

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I had studied the Godox flash guns for a while, then rechargeable batteries and reviws of IKEA charges. Went off the idea of Amazon and eBay purchases with warranty problems. So ended up trying the V350 and ST-IV trigger from

https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/category/shop-by-collection/li-ion-speedlite/

That went well, so ordered the 580 as well as the 350 is tiny.
Thanks for the recommendation. Sadly that breaks the budget. I'm happy juggling AA batteries for the £60 saving although my Chinese supplier / 'fulfilled by amazon' / 'next day on Prime' order is suddenly delayed for two days. ? I swear Amazon is getting more like eBay every day.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
The Godox flash units have proven to be reliable.

For the cost of a single FL700WR and controller, I've accumulated 2x TT350, 2x TT685 and an XPRO controller.

I had a Metz 52AF1. It was powerful, but had a thoroughly horrible LCD touch screen on the back.

If the Godox 685 isn't powerful enough though my softbox, I strap another one to the head, upside down with a cable tie :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom