1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flash recommendation (for GF1 and later GH2)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ashatron, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ashatron

ashatron Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Hi all :) 

So, i need a flash for my GF1. The main reason for buying it is for macro, but obviously i would like to use it for general purpose shooting.

Heres an example of what my canon FD 50mm 3.5 macro lens can do with tubes and a flash (not my image) -
    [​IMG]

beautiful isnt it!
    source - GF1 + Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro - Field Test - The GetDPI Photography Forums

Firstly i have no idea what so ever about flashes! Can i ask:
    1. What does TTL mean?
    2. What sets them apart / what should i be looking out for with flashes?
    3. I imagine the recycle time is the shot to shot flash time?

i have the tubes, but no flash. obviously when using extension tubes its quite difficult to get enough light for high shutter speeds, so a flash is gonna help a lot.

There are the popular flashes like the FL-14 and metz ones, but they like £150! which seems a lot (to me) for a flash (whats so good about them exactly? id like to know) and it is more than i want to spend.

So have you got any recommendations for a good inexpensive flash?

ive seen ones like this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/...essories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item27adae8e82

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/...47?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item483c8b951b

but have no idea how good they will be, particularly for macro.

Hope you can help guys and gals!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.