1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash question from a rookie

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ojuice1, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ojuice1

ojuice1 Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2013
    Hey guys I am a rookie photographer who shoots for fun and learning more and more from this forum. I realize I shoot a lot of parties and although my omd em5 shoots awesome in low light situations, I think I would benefit from a flash. The flash that came w/ the camera is way to harsh and blows out a lot of the pictures.

I was wondering if you guys could direct me on good flash to start off with and maybe provide some tips on flash photography.

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    ojuice1, I was in a similar position. I got a Metz 44 (Olympus version). You can use it in two ways: a) on the camera, or b) remote as a slave.

On the camera, I usually point it up and bounce it off the ceiling. It has plenty of power for most rooms. It also has a nifty little white card that sends some of the light direct to the subject for a 'catchlight' in the eyes. It automatically adjusts to the focal length of the lens and the camera controls the exposure and flash duration. Works well.

As a slave, you use the camera's own flash as a trigger. This lets you hold the flash off to the side or anywhere you want to get a particular effect.

It's a pretty big piece of equipment, but it is both cheaper and more powerful than the Oly/Pana flashes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    First of all, at what ISO are you shooting in with your flash? If you are balancing ambient light with flash and shooting at high ISO, your small flash can become too overpowering. There are several ways to mitigate this and that is, you should be able to adjust your on-board TTL-flash to under-fire. This will turn down the output of the flash and create a sort of fill effect rather than nuking your subjects all the time.

Or get an external flash that allows you to do off-camera remote control TTL flash sync. And then you can use the supplied panel diffuser on the flash if one comes with one or purchase a cheap low cost softbox for your external flash. This will enlarge and diffuse the light coming out of the flash. Off-camera flash has the advantage of side lighting which will help in creating light shading, whereas straight on camera flash creates flat lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ojuice1

ojuice1 Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2013
    Thanks for the tip. I was trying to compensate with lowering the ISO, but maybe I wasn't adjusting correctly. I'll definitely try to shoot this week and see what I come up with!

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    BigTam,

Can you tell me if the Metz 44 AF-1 slave function offers Aperture Auto like my FL-36R does? Or is it just preset slave and TTL pre-flash slave?

Thanks.

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron