Flash problem with G9

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
I have a Nissin i60A flash that I've had for about eighteen months. I don't use flash very often, so in that time I've probably used the i60A about five times and always with my Olympus EM1 Mk2, with which it performs very well. However, today I had occasion to use flash with my other camera, a Lumix G9 and it just wouldn't work!

The Flash setting in the menu is set to on, the shutter is on manual and Silent Mode is off. The white flash icon appears in the viewfinder, and on half pressing the shutter button this icon turns to red (I don't know if that's normal or not), but when the shutter's pressed the flash doesn't fire.

I don't think the flash gun is at fault, because it works perfectly on the Olympus. I'm hoping that it's just a setting on the G9 that's causing it. Anyone got any ideas?

DennyEvs

New to Mu-43
I have a Nissin i60A flash that I've had for about eighteen months. I don't use flash very often, so in that time I've probably used the i60A about five times and always with my Olympus EM1 Mk2, with which it performs very well. However, today I had occasion to use flash with my other camera, a Lumix G9 and it just wouldn't work!

The Flash setting in the menu is set to on, the shutter is on manual and Silent Mode is off. The white flash icon appears in the viewfinder, and on half pressing the shutter button this icon turns to red (I don't know if that's normal or not), but when the shutter's pressed the flash doesn't fire.

I don't think the flash gun is at fault, because it works perfectly on the Olympus. I'm hoping that it's just a setting on the G9 that's causing it. Anyone got any ideas?
Are you using the Electronic shutter?? try it with out if you are..

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Regular
I have had the same problem with the G9 and the Godox 685 flash.
The problem was the shifting of the flash base on the camera. The flash really needs to be pushed forwards. If not, the flash will not fire, but the camera will indicate that the flash is on. Seems to lie on the contacts in the base of the flash and those on the camera.

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Regular
In my response I forgot to say that on the GX8 there was no problem with the flash. Only on the G9 there was the problem. With a file, I removed a little bit of metal from the front of the foot of the flash. Then the problem was solved. This removal has not been a problem for the GX8. Slide the flash into the hot shoe, tighten the pin and the flash works as it should.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
Thank you for that. I'll have a careful look at the position of the flash on the hot shoe and jiggle it about to see if I can get it working. It would appear that the G9 hot shoe may be at fault.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
We were away for the weekend, so yesterday was my first opportunity to try the Nissin i60A on the G9 again. I've got it to work! Henk van Slooten's advice about firmly pushing the flash forward on the hot shoe did the trick. The flash slides easily onto the Olympus EM1 hot shoe, which is why it's always worked on this camera. However, it's possible to push the i60A onto the G9 hotshoe, so that it appears to be in the right position and with enough contact to trigger the flash indicator in the viewfinder, but insufficient contact to actually fire the flash. A good firm push is needed to move it forward another couple of millimetres, where it then locks securely into place and allows for full contact. Many thanks for your assistance; job done!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom