Flash Options Panasonic

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Boatman, May 15, 2011.

1. I've not been happy with the indoor still shots I'm getting with mh GH2. I have been trying to shoot by ambient light, but the native 14-140 lens is way too slow. I have a Hexanon 1.8/40 and a Takumar 1.4/50 that are sufficiently fast, but don't produce good results wide open. Stopped down to 2.8, the Takumar looks good, but in most situations that means I need to start pushing the ISO to 800 or more, which is also undesirable. I think I need to bite the bullet and consider a flash.

I have a Minolta 3600HS flash that is pretty good, but the interface for it is proprietay to Minolta. Seagull makes an adapter, but from what I can read, this is just hot shoe adapter and all of the lighting control functionality would be lost. Has anyone tried this device or have any experience using a Minolta interface on a Panasonic camera? (Note, when I went to confirm this device, SC-6 Hot Shoe Adapter for Sony HVL / Konica Minolta Program Flash Series Cameras, I saw that it was only $10. I've ordered one and will post how it really does when it arrives.)

That failing me, the next step would be to get a Panasonic flash. I have heard that the Olympus flash is the exact same unit but with Olympus branding and a significantly lower price. Is that correct? If so, what is the preferred model to go with? I like to shoot family events and don't need ultra-fast cycle time or distances much over 15'. But sub five second recycle would be nice.

An flash expereience out there?
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Um ... The GH2 has a built in flash ... Have you tried it?
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Yes the Olympus and panasonic cameras support the Sam basic protocol and hot shoe. I believe (I'd check though) that the GH2 also supports the same off camera flash system as the oly system. So you can use panny or oly flashes. There are also very good third party brands like Metz that you could consider.

4. TC, funny you should say that! No, I have not tried the on-camera flash of the GH2 and it was occuring to me as I put up the post that that would be a good idea! However, my experience with on-camera flashes is that they are underpowered, cause too much red eye, aren't in the right place and don't point in the right direction.

I used the 3600HS with my A2 very successfully, but that was because it was very well integrated with the camera. It knew the length of zoom, worked great for bounce flashes and had a wireless remote feature. I haven't seen anything like that in the Panasonic and I'll miss it. With the Minolta wireless set up you could put the flash somewhere in the room on a little stand and aim if for a nice ceiling bounce. Then, where ever you shot in the room the flash would give a nice illimination and the exposure calibration was good, if not perfect.

I had hoped that with the fast third part lenses and a reasonably high ISO I could dispense with using a flash at all, but I don't think that is realistic.
  5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    You can do off camera flash with the GH2 but it is not TTL. I highly recommend the Panasonic FL500, I have one, and use it with a trigger and snoots etc.. I plan on getting another. Also, for on camera flash, try a diffused bounce, like a Gary Fong especially when working in large settings, ie: groups.

I had a late 'eighties Pro Minolta setup, the 9000, with off camera flash. Way ahead of its time.

Here's a link to the unit, with downloadable instructions on how to use it. Panasonic DMW-FL500 Support and Service Information
  6. Bokeh Diem (love your handle!), Is the Panasonic FL500 the same as the Olympus FL-50? I see that the Olympus FL36R and the Panasonic FL360 are stated to be the same (though the Panasonic may not have the remote feature) and these two are about the same price. However the Panasonic FL500 is significantly more expensive than the Olympus FL-50, making the FL-50 a much better deal, if they are the same unit.