Flash options for Gf1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Toonman, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I have been asked to take some shots at an upcoming prom. My kit is a Panny GF1 with 14-45 and a Oly 50mm F1.8. I know I'm going to need flash but......................I never use one and don't want to spend a lot on one. (though I could get the flash bug!)

I was thinking of a wireless trigger with a cheap second hand gun or even a dedicated cheapy E-bay gun. Any suggestions very welcome.

2. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Bump.:smile:

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    How about Olympus FL-36? It's pretty strong and supports FP mode so you can use faster shutter speeds with flash (even though the power will be reduced)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What kind of pictures? The portraits, or candids?

If you're doing the portraits, I would recommend renting some studio "hot" lights

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Portraits and candids so I think a dedicate flash may be best. I had seen some cheapy E-bay ones but I'm not sure how good they are.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't stick with just one flash, you should have at least 3 to get nice even portrait lighting at the prom (if you're just going around shooting with a flash on the camera, then try an Olympus FL-50 or FL-50R). If you can't afford to buy multiple high-end or dedicated flash guns, then get cheap slave units. Vivitar, Metz, Nissin, Sunpak, as long as they have an optical or radio trigger to set them off. You can buy about a half dozen old Vivitars with peanut slaves for the price of a single new retail FL-50R.

7. deanrinehart

deanrinehart Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 22, 2010
    I have a Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1, two Nikon SB-24s and the cheap eBay triggers. The Metz is HSS TTL capable and the Nikons are manual only.

People tend to poo-poo the Metz/GF-1 combo because of the Metz size. They feel it would be unbalanced, but this has never been an issue for me. I wanted the power, HSS capability and bounce/pan that a "real" flash offers...and at $250, it's a steal. Add $100 for the used Nikons and the $45 triggers and I've got more light than I've ever really needed.

8. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks Dean
    I was interested in the wireless triggers. Which ones did you get?

9. birigoboom

birigoboom New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2010
    +1 on the Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1. I have no issue with it shoe mounted on the GF-1. Awkward is using Gary Fong's diffusers mounted on the flash. Though, they work well.

10. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks. The Gary Fong must look a bit OTT. :smile: