1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flash operations

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rsovitzky, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    Brand new owner of em1 [emoji1]. Spent the day with camera in hand and PDFs. Incredible flexibility. Lots to learn.

I didn't find much information on flash operations though. Is there a pdf? Things like fill flash, auto ISO, manual mode.

Thanks
    Rick

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you read the full manual? My E-M5 manual at least covers enough to get started, but a lot of it depends on exactly what kind of flash system you are using. My auto-zooming, RC, TTL and FP capable Nissin i40, for instance, is a totally different operating experience to my manual YN560s. Fill flash with TTL and auto ISO works fine enough in P, A, S, M, set ambient as usual and use FEC to set fill level. Manual flash is just way easier in M mode with fixed ISO though.

3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Wijiang are you mounting it on hot shoe or tethered?

I'm trying to use also a 3rd party nonTTL flash which fires on the shoe but does nothing through PCsync port

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm the E-M5 only has a hot shoe so I've only used on hot shoe plus optical TTL.

Edit: I've also used radio triggering through the hot shoe radio via the YN560-TX.