1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash Nissin di466 for 4/3?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by acmatos, May 6, 2010.

1. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

2. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    since when has this been on sale?

Finally!

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    A better buy from here. Nissin Speedlite Di466 Flash Black Di 466 / Four Thirds - eBay, Flash Units, Digital Camera Accessories, Photography. (end time 23-May-10 21:10:55 AEST)

They have both the black and white units (check the seller's other listings).

I have just blown a bundle of money on ordering the 9-18mm lens from another seller that a better flash than my FL-14 have moved down the priority list a bit. I rarely use flash anyway but the Di466 seems compact enough, fast enough and a ripper of a bargain that it could well be my next flash.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the heads up. I enquired of Nissin a month or two ago about the black version - glad its now available. I wonder if any of the bigger sites will do a review?

5. maxpiz

maxpiz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2010
    I think that this flash can be a good solution. Small enough and cheap but seems to have all the necessary functions.
    Can I ask if it also supports the function FP-TTL,
    i.e. is possible to use this flash with shutter speed faster than 1/160 on GF1?
    Thanks and Best Regards

6. maxpiz

maxpiz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2010
    Anybody help me!! Please!:smile:

7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Coming Soon...

I ordered this flash earlier this week from Amazon for my new G1. I will post some samples when I get it. Unfortunately, I took the free shipping and may not receive it for this weekend.:frown:

Lee

• Like Like x 1
  8. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Flash is here! New toys this week include G1 & 14-45mm, 45-200mm, and Nissin Di466 flash. I am having a hard time concentrating on any one thing. I read a couple of positive previews of this flash and decided to try it. Looks excellent so far, but go figure it is 85 degrees and sunny. I still managed an unboxing shot and a fill flash test shot. I am going to slow down and spend the evening reading and playing with the G1 now that I have knocked out a couple hundred test shots... I will get back to the flash unit in a few days, but here is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flash is packaged well and includes a stand, CD, and warranty card. No hard copy manual. The disk contains manuals for each flash they make in PDF format. There is an installation program on the disk, but I just searched through folders and then copied the english version to my network drive.
    The flash seems to be well made and comparable in quality to my old Sony HVL-F42AM. I was a bit worried because the advertisement on Amazon indicated a 3 second recycle time. I am using Eneloop batteries and it is ready before my G1 can finish writing to a Lexar Pro Series SDHC card. Six shots in rapid succession caused no slow down and felt like I could do that all day. Here are the specs from the box:

Guide No 33 (ISO 100 at 105mm)
    Power Ratio Down to 1/32 in 1 EV steps
    Wireless Slave Flash with Power Ratio
    Bounce head but no swivel
    Wide Angle Diffuser
    Catch Light Reflector (hard to get out without pulling out wide angle diffuser)
    Quick Recycle in 3.8 seconds (mine runs well below 1 second)
    TTL Flash Compensation
    200 Flashes per Battery Set

I absolutely love the flash compensation controls on the flash. Way faster than adjusting the camera. I think this thing is great, the 2nd image was bounced and intended to demonstrate fill flash. The face of the Di466 box was shadowed with strong sunlight coming in behind it. As you can see, the flash did an excellent job with it. It came with a warranty card from Minox USA. The website is minox.com; I haven't checked it out yet. I like it very much and think it is well worth the $140 price tag at Amazon.

Lee

• Like Like x 2
  9. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Seems like an impressive flash for the money.

10. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Agreed. I have never touched an Olympus flash, but I suspect this one does not compare well. However, in the less than $150 department it probably wins for power and bounce.

A few points I omitted:
    - When laid down on its side, it is about the same size as my G1 except thicker.
    - When mounted on camera with G1 in manual mode; I only have 2 auto and forced flash options and I cannot get shutter speed above 1/180. I am new to this platform, so I think this means no FP-TTL or is that an Olympus only feature and not supported by Panasonic?

Here is another test shot of my old friend Rocky

Lee

[​IMG]

11. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Wireless?

The Nissin Di466 flash has 2 wireless modes and is firing wireless with my G1 built-in flash raised. The Nissin has 2 modes and seems to work in both with the G1. I thought I lost this capability with the G1. The Panasonic manual doe not indicate this will work and I have found posts on other sites stating the G1 cannot do wireless. I thought the Nissin wireless stuff was made for Oly E-PL1 and 4/3rds systems that supported it. Any other flashes that work with the G1? I think I have to manually set the flash power, but it has exposure controls for that. Any experts care to provide some insight here?

- S1 synchronizes to preflash system if master flash is in TTL mode.
    - S2 synchronizes to single flash system in manual mode.

I am officially stoked about this flash now :biggrin:

Lee

12. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I don't know if Panasonic support FP-TTL and I don't think the Nissin di466 has it anyway. You need the Olympus FL-36R or FL-50R or a couple of the more up-market Metz flashes.

13. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I guess I was under the impression that the G1 did not support any wireless flash, so I was / am thrilled to get the flash off the camera.

Lee

14. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I got my Nissin Di466 from an eBay seller in Hong Kong. Cost about $125 AUD including postage - that's about $108 USD.

I haven't done anything serious with it but just mucking around I am impressed. I found that with the diffuser, it even provides complete coverage at the 9mm end of the zoom of my 9-18mm lens and without the diffuser, it starts from 12mm.

Very simple to use, automatically goes into sleep mode when the camera is turned off (not quite as neat as the Olympus flash which will actually turn off), well designed battery housing, amazingly compact for a 4xAA powered flash.

I haven't done any direct comparisons with my old Olympus FL-14 but the Nissin seems to hit a sweet spot in most areas and most importantly, doesn't appear too big on the Olympus E-P1. As the native ISO of the Olympus is 200, it should be plenty powerful enough for what I want.

If you want a cheap flash, get one.

15. ilovemyep2

ilovemyep2 New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2010
    Singapore
    can this flash do a strobist setup? with pocketwizards to trigger.

16. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    You don't need a pocket wizard.

The Di466 has 2 built in slave modes. The first is an immediate trigger and the second mode duplicates the anti-redeye stuff. Both modes work fiine being triggered by my FL-14. Amazingly, it even works when you are behind the Di466 when it is being used as a slave.

17. ilovemyep2

ilovemyep2 New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2010
    Singapore
    hmm..so it is like the nikon cls?....main flash trigger group 1 flash and group 2 flash?

18. nautilus

nautilus New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2010
    British North Borneo
    Hi everybody, i'm new here and this is my 1st posting.
    From the specs of this flash it says......AF Assist light : Orange LED for distance of 0.7 to 6 meter.
    Does this mean the Oly which has no IR AF assist light for absolute darkness AF will get to focus with this flash?

• Like Like x 1
  19. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    In the case of the E-P1, the camera doesn't support the functionality, so no. Olympus cameras (and presumably Panasonic too), that support a flash-based AF beam will work with it.

Cheers

PeterB666

20. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    A couple of flash shots taken with the Nissin Di466 Four Thirds.

The first I have posted previously in the one color thread but I was very surpised this shot came out. It was taken at a distance of about 0.4m with an Olympus OM 50mm f/3.5 macro which was stopped down to around f/11. The flash as set to -1.5 EV and had a cheap diffuser whacked over it. The flash was angled up and a sheet of paper used to reflect a bit of light back onto the background and remove the flash shadow.

4875160436_5e7c1f3f8c_z.

The next was an altoghter different kettle of fish. Using my 9-18mm M.Zuiko set to 18mm, I lest the flash with default flash settings and set the lens to f/6.3 and the exposure to 5 seconds to get the lights in the background. The camera was left at ISO200. The distance here was about 10m and the exposure pretty much spot on.

4870677337_fed60b1361_z.

Seems a very versatile little flash and does quite well at extremes of distance.